Author Topic: Light sequencing program  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Raptorman670

Light sequencing program
« on: October 17, 2018, »
What light sequencing program is everyone using?
Looking for the easiest or best one to use.
                    Thanks Dave.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: Light sequencing program
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, »
I'm still using Vixen 2.1.1 (FREE) [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ] but now I have a smaller show with only one universe of PixelNet and much fewer than 510 (512) DMX channels.

Others can jump in with XLights, Falcon, etc.

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
                    Thanks Dave.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, »
I used Vixen 3 for several years then I switched to xLights.  I love xLights!  These are all free.
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Lynx Expresses, Falcon Players, Falcon F16v3 & xLights

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, »
Ok guys, thanks for the replies!

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, »
Joe,

So Vixen 2 supports PixelNet and RGB?  I’m looking to add some pixels, and I’ve also been using Vixen 2.x for years, but never really looked into RGB support. It would be nice if I could incorporate the pixels and not have to migrate my sequences over to a new software.

I'm still using Vixen 2.1.1 (FREE) [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ] but now I have a smaller show with only one universe of PixelNet and much fewer than 510 (512) DMX channels.

Thanks Dave.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, »
Absolutely yes, Vixen 2.1.4.0 (Vixen 2) does PixelNet.

First, the DLA Dongle must be loaded with the Pixelnet .HEX file [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ],  (not the DMX HEX)    {A Smart Hub will be your source for Pixelnet AND DMX!}

if you haven't already,  properly load the FTDI drivers for the Dongle  [http://diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Software#FTDI_Driver_Software ], connect the Dongle, note the COM PORT.   [https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm] here is the setup executable:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

in the Vixen folder \Plugins\Output put the Pixelnet.DLL [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login].

When you load Vixen and go through the step-by=step of creating a sequence, there is an area to select the "Attached Plugins" and follow the prompts, that's where you put the COM PORT and the channel count for PixelNet.   (Or edit your existing sequence)

Now. there is a bucket of other processes including configuring the SSC's and DSC's but that's for a different discussion.

On a new WIN10 computer today, I downloaded Vixen [http://www.vixenlights.com/download/vixen_2(2)/current_release/Vixen%202.1.1.0.zip] , ran the installer (.NET stuff already in WIN10-64), put pixelnet.dll in the correct Vixen folder, then downloaded the FTDI VCP (virtual com port) installer, connected the Dongle and noted the com port [Windows key & press the R key for "Run", type devmgmt.msc]. 

I connected a Smart Hub, a SSC with nodes (already programmed), started Vixen, set the channels R=255, G=30, B=0 for a cool Halloween orange, in a one-minute sequence set to loop forever and my Tombstones were ready to receive nodes.   Okay, a bit more hardware work than I'm disclosing but the software setup took about fifteen minutes, that's it.

Seems like a lot but I saved $50 buying dedicated orange Halloween lighting.   :)

Joe,

So Vixen 2 supports PixelNet and RGB?  I’m looking to add some pixels, and I’ve also been using Vixen 2.x for years, but never really looked into RGB support. It would be nice if I could incorporate the pixels and not have to migrate my sequences over to a new software.

Thanks Dave.
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)