Author Topic: Run LE and Pixels together?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Run LE and Pixels together?
« on: October 27, 2018, »
I’ve been running Lynx Express with the Lynx dongle for years. I’m finally looking to add some pixels this year, but I don’t have enough to replace my entire show.

How can I run the LEs alongside the smart string controllers for the pixels?

I know that I can install pixelnet on the dongle, but then that will kill the DMX to the LEs.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline jhoybs

Re: Run LE and Pixels together?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, »
One of the more popular pixel controller lines are made by Falcon (pixelcontroller.com).  Starting with the PiCap, F4v3 and F16v3 all have DMX ports that you can run your LEs directly from (without a dongle).  I have 4 LEs and an F16v3.
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Lynx Expresses, Falcon Players, Falcon F16v3 & xLights

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, »
Actually I was looking through my smart string stuff, I bought it all 3 - 4 years ago, but never put it together. Apparently I bought an active hub which looks like it will split off the pixelnet and DMX.

But thank you for the information becti only have the one 16 port hub. Since RJ doesn’t seem to be making any more boards, I’ll need to find an alternative in order to expand.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, »
This drawing might help you with one possible configuration:  [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

and another here: [ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   ]

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:) joe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Actually I was looking through my smart string stuff, I bought it all 3 - 4 years ago, but never put it together. Apparently I bought an active hub which looks like it will split off the pixelnet and DMX.

But thank you for the information becti only have the one 16 port hub. Since RJ doesn’t seem to be making any more boards, I’ll need to find an alternative in order to expand.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, »
You can use all of RJs stuff concurrently with any of the Falcon stuff...it all works together.  As things bust beyond repair, it will be harder and harder to replace DLA stuff as much of it reached EOL.  But, while it works, it works great!! 

Duane