Author Topic: Any pictures of a SS or DS Mini Tree?  (Read 730 times)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Any pictures of a SS or DS Mini Tree?
« on: July 17, 2012, »
Hello all,

I am thinking about replacing some of my incan mini trees with some dumb string mini trees.  I have a total of 44 incan mini trees built on flower easels and I would like to migrate to all LEDs.  My vision is to do this with sets of the Dumb String nodes that Ray sells using 100 nodes per tree.  I can not imagine wrapping 300 nodes on each mini tree ($$$$$) so I'm wondering if anyone has built mini trees with nodes, dumb or smart, and has pictures of the final product lit up?  I'd like to get an idea of how the light output compares.

I am planning to proceed down this path with 16 of my trees that are separate from the other 28 so that I am not mixing incan and nodes in the same display element but would like to see if anyone else has started down this path.

Thanks for your help,

Frank

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Any pictures of a SS or DS Mini Tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, »
here is one

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, »
LOL

Thanks Rick.

I searched on "SS mini tree" and did not get a solid hit... If I had just spelled it out  <fp.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, »
Just remember that all of the LED's on a dumb string all light at the same time and the same color so if you ever want your tree to be multi-colored, you would need multiple strings on their own controllers.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, »
I don't have pictures, but I have videos.  The tree is made from two 128 node smart strings, each folded 8 times.  We used a tomato cage and some plastic plumber's strapping to keep the nodes straight.  It took a lot of time to drill holes for the nodes to fit in and it's difficult to line the nodes up horizontally.  My advice, smart strips.  They're spaced evenly and are less likely to twist.  If you have a controller for each "strand", you could do some pretty cool stuff with it.  And, oh yeah, super bright!

Here's the link to the post that has my videos:

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login