Author Topic: Nutcracker to vixen to xlights procedure.  (Read 4018 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

Nutcracker to vixen to xlights procedure.
« on: December 13, 2012, »
Is there a procedure I missed?
I down load the nutcracker file to vixen and then went to open the file to add a song and no file.
I go back to see if the file is in the sequence file and it is.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, by sittinguphigh »
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Nutcracker to vixen to xlights procedure.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, »
This is really a xLights question. 

Make sure that when you go to translate your files in xLights that you have all media files in the xLights directory (this means all mpg, vix, etc.)  Also when you first open the translation tab (the bottom most button when you open xLights), it defaults to LOR files (not VIX files!).  Use the drop-down option to select VIX and navigate to where your VIX file is for Vixen.  The rest is easy peasy.

If you still are not getting output from xLights, make double sure that all media files are in the xLights directory.  Also make sure that you have set up your network (first button option in xLights) correctly and are talking to your DMX device the way you expect.  For setting up an Etherdongle, this means setting up at least 16 universes of E.1.31 correctly (PM me for specifics as my machine is upstairs and I can get the details for how I set mine up if you need it).  It is a bit tedious to set up initially, however, once you set it up, you don't have to do it again.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, »
I tested the hardware in xlights and vixen. Every thing works.

What is the steps in vixen so you can down load into xlights.

I down loaded a nutcracker file into vixen sequence file. I checked and it is in there.

I go into vixen and go into  (open an sequence) so I can bring it up and attach the audio to the nutcracker file and there is no nutcracker file.

Am I doing it wrong. Did I miss a step.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, »
The first nutcracker vixen link is a for vir file and not a vix file.  You need to be sure to right click on the vix line and select "save link as".  Your use of terminology can be confusing.  We don't "download into", we "save as".   Nutcracker effects are saved in different formats depending on what sequencer software you are using.  A vixen sequence file ends with ".vix".  A vixen routine file ends with ".vir".  Routine files have to be copied/loaded into a vixen sequence.  Using the addin "vixen routine loader" is very fast and easy but requires that you know the exact time and channel to load it into.  Routine files have to be copied into the routines folder under the vixen folder.  Sequences have to be in the sequences folder.  There is no "nutcracker file" that is available outside of the nutcracker program, only sequencer files.  Also files reside on folders not other files.

To use xlights you have to have an xlights data folder and both the vixen sequence file and the audio file must be in that folder.  I use "c:\xlights data" rather than cluttering up my vixen folders with to much stuff that vixen does not want to see in a single folder.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, »
I saved a nutcracker file to vixen this is what I got.

Then I tried to open that same file from open an sequence in vixen.

It wasn't there.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, »
For some reason your f~235 is not a vixen file but an xml document.  You may have named it with a .vix but it is an xml type.  did you open it in an editor did you same it directly from nutcracker.  You must left click on the create vixen files and then right click on the vir or vix line to save it as a vixen type file.  It is a two step process.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For some reason your f~235 is not a vixen file but an xml document.  You may have named it with a .vix but it is an xml type.  did you open it in an editor did you same it directly from nutcracker.  You must left click on the create vixen files and then right click on the vir or vix line to save it as a vixen type file.  It is a two step process.

jnealand,

f~235 is for user f on meighan.net and is Sean's test account.  I am positive that sittinguphigh is using a local install (his meighan.net account has no targets defined).  I noticed that projects was broken by the release of twinkle effect and the fix exists via github (basically removed the create_twinkle function in f_twinkle), it just hasn't been pushed to meighan.net.

Kurt
------

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, »
I saved it direct from nutcracker to vixen.

That's the problem it is not a vixen file.

Were do you find the  addin "vixen routine loader"  program?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, by sittinguphigh »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, »
Were do you find the  addin "vixen routine loader"  program?

It is a part of the Vixen tree profiler download.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, »
OK. Inserted the Vixen tree profiler download into plugin and addins. How do I use this to change nutcracker file into vixen file?

This is nutcracker test file.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, by sittinguphigh »

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, »
Sittinguphigh,

This IS a vixen file (it was just created by Nutcracker)

You simply go into vixen and open this VIX file (that you show in your screenshot).

If you use the megatree plugin (that you downloaded from Emmanuel) it will automatically set the preview for you so it looks like a mega tree.

Kurt
------

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, »
OK. Inserted the Vixen tree profiler download into plugin and addins. How do I use this to change nutcracker file into vixen file?

This is nutcracker test file.

The file you show is a vixen vix file.
If you use vix files you do NOT need any of emmanuels plugins, those are when you are using vixen vir files, the Vixen Routine files.

Nutcracker produces both file types vix and vir. nThese files should open up

Vixen, open existing sequence. Now you will open the vix files. You need to put the vix files in the vixen sequences directory.

If you are using vir files, you put them into the Vixen routines directory. Now to load them, you need to use Emannuels Routine loader adding.

I only use vix files. I jhust attach an audio file and the lyx etherdongle and then resave the file.

Now i go to xlights and open the vix file and convert it to an xLights format, xseq.

In summary: Nutcracker produces vixen vix files. You need to right click and do a save as to save the file to the sequences directory.

Do NOT use IE as your browser. Use Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera. IE will add an xml extension to your vix file.

HTH

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, »
This what I get when I look for the nutcracker file in the vixen sequencing
file.

This is the nutcracker file I saved in the vixen/ sequence.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, by sittinguphigh »

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, »
Save that f~235.vix file to a subdirectory or download directory.

Go into vixen (open vixen). 

Select options to open a file

Navigate to where you saved the above file (f~235.vix or whatever you saved this file name as)

Open the file.

You should see a sequence that starts with Channel 1 R, then Channel 1 G, Channel 1 B etc.  Each of these channels will be colored Red, Green, Blue, etc.

This is your Nutcracker generated sequence in Vixen.  If your RGB element starts with address 1, you are golden and can run your element via Vixen without any cutting and pasting.  If your device is at another address (let's say 516 for example) I would recommend setting up your channels first in another file (say myShow2012.vix for example) that has your channels setup correctly.  Then open up both myShow2012 and f~235 at the same time.  Copy the channels from f~235 and paste them into myShow2012 at the correct row that starts your RGB element.

Kurt
------

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, »
OK. Had to reread all the post. Never did this before.

Need to be sure to right click on the vix line and select "save link as".  First.