Author Topic: Is EtherDongle required when using dumb string controller?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline salongaopm

Is etherdongle required when using dumb string controller? I recently ordered an rgb flexible strip from ebay to test.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
A (Lynx dongle or Etherdongle) + Smart String Hub + the dumb controller are required. 

Check out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can also use a MR16 DC controller.

Offline JonB256

• My website
and - they are flashed for Pixelnet - not DMX

Pixelnet = SmartString anything

Offline salongaopm

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A (Lynx dongle or Etherdongle) + Smart String Hub + the dumb controller are required. 

Check out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can also use a MR16 DC controller.

the lnx dongle is the Dmx Lynx Usb dongle right? So,what I need to do is flash it for pixelnet and I should be able to use it to control dumb flexible strip and le controllers? Will I still be able to use my wireless transmitter  & receiver? It doesn't look like the ss hub is wireless. The pdf doesn't mention of lynx dmx usb dongle.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
to use the USB dongle with a dumb string controller, you need to have the pixelnet firmware.  (dumb string controllers are pixelnet only)   
(the dumb sting controllers also need a hub to inject the 12v power needed to operate)

to get DMX also, you'll need either another dongle, or an active hub to give you some dmx channels.

the Lynx USB dongle can be used for DMX or pixelnet depending on which firmware is installed.

you can't get both from the device, without flashing for pixelnet, and using a hub to retrieve DMX.

sorry to be redundant, just trying to make it as clear as possible.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline salongaopm

if I understand it correctly:

Pc --> usb dongle(flashed with pixelnet firmware) -->active  hub (connected using a cat5 cable?not with wireless transmitter/receiver?) -->via dmx out to --> LE, Aether flood

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Pc --> usb dongle(flashed with pixelnet firmware) -->active  hub (connected using a cat5 cable OR with wireless transmitter/receiver?) -->via dmx out to --> LE, Aether flood
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

Is EtherDongle required when using dumb string controller?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, »
The wireless is for DMX. You could use it off of the DMX out port on the active hub.

You cannot use the wireless for pixelnet.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline salongaopm

ok. Thanks!