Author Topic: I don't think I've ever felt like more of an idiot  (Read 3725 times)

Offline TheQueb

Re: I don't think I've ever felt like more of an idiot
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, »
I can't pick anything above 512 in LOR S3 though...

Offline CW

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, »
Last year I did as you stated, Aux A with unit 1, channel 1-512 and that worked for my needs and used S3 with xlights and a pixelnet dongle to run the show plus the regular network for LOR and a iDMX for Lynx.

This year I added a lot more SSC's so I tried adding as you stated adding unit 2 and that did not work with a second 512 so I read somewhere that you need to add the channels in S3 as in 16 channel units on aux A.  This worked and got past the 512 limit.  Yu need to add a Device, device type is RGB Device (non-CCD)and select your network, and upto 48 channels in 16 channels per unit ID.

But I had issues with xlights at Halloween and 600 pixels with the dongle.  Xlights kept locking up and had to be killed with task manager, so I have since converted to the ED and setup 8 dmx universes using E1.31 and it works right from S3.  This is how I will be running this year, but I need to do additional testing. Dennis Cherry commented in a different thread that when you go from universe 1 to universe 2 the pixelnet will connect and kept the channels correct. 

My LOR boxes and Lynx boxes will be on the 1st universe and I will use the DMX out on the active hub.  My house is all Lynx and the yard is LOR boxes for DMX so I will have 1 conversion cable to go from DMX standard pin out to the LOR pinout and run LOR via DMX. Universe 2-8 are pixelnet on 3 different elements.

Plan B will be dongles but I have confidence with the ED.

Craig

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, »
Nope John. LOR won't let me assign a channel higher than 512.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nope John. LOR won't let me assign a channel higher than 512.

Neither does the DMX and E1.31 standards. You have to create second, third, etc universes

E1.31 universe is the standard that the etherDongle uses and that outputs up to 16384 channels but only 512 at a time.

If Aux A = 1 to 512?
can you have Aux B that is 512- 1024 but its really 1-512

That does help?
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, »
This is my current understanding:

If you have a Pixelnet dongle as the second network device in xLights, then xLights puts anything using AuxA out to the Pixelnet dongle.

First xLights network device is sent the Regular Network
Second xLights network device is the Aux A Network (aka, Network="1")
Third xLights network device is the Aux B Network (aka, Network="2")

In LOR, with some effort, you can create 3840 channels in the Aux A network  (Unit01, 01 up to UnitF0, 16)  hex numbering
But xLights expects 16 channels per Unit for its formula.

Since LOR won't name a Unit ID above F0, you therefore can't use all 4096 Pixelnet channels. (at least, I haven't found a way)

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, »
I should have been more clear. How do I get above 512 when assigning channels in LOR S3?

I was playing around in S3, outputting with Xlights and I setup a basic 3 RGB channel sequence to test with and see if I could figure out how to get just 3 pixels to do what I wanted. 

I set up the first one as Device Type: LOR, Network: Aux A, Unit: 01, Channels 1,2 and 3 for the RGB. 
I set up the second one as Device Type: LOR, Network: Aux A, Unit: 01, Channels 4,5, and 6 for the RGB.
I set up the third one as Device Type: LOR, Network: Aux A, Unit: 02, Channels 1,2 and 3 for the RGB. 

xLights channel # = ((LOR Unit Number - 1) * 16) + LOR Circuit Number

Your first line should be DMX channels 1, 2, 3
Your second line should be DMX channels 4, 5, 6
Your third line should be DMX channels 17, 18, 19

So what do I do when I get OVER 512 on my xLights channel #? I have 200 nodes or 600 separate channels. I thought about grouping my arches into two or three node groups but that would only eliminate 80 channels at most. Oh and the Gifts are grouped into two nodes each so that's another 8 for 88 total. That gets me to 512 but there's got to be a better way. What if I had made a mega tree from the 8 SSCs that I bought?! lol

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, »
This is my current understanding:

If you have a Pixelnet dongle as the second network device in xLights, then xLights puts anything using AuxA out to the Pixelnet dongle.

First xLights network device is sent the Regular Network
Second xLights network device is the Aux A Network (aka, Network="1")
Third xLights network device is the Aux B Network (aka, Network="2")

In LOR, with some effort, you can create 3840 channels in the Aux A network  (Unit01, 01 up to UnitF0, 16)  hex numbering
But xLights expects 16 channels per Unit for its formula.

Since LOR won't name a Unit ID above F0, you therefore can't use all 4096 Pixelnet channels. (at least, I haven't found a way)

I probably screwed up the formula somewhere but I made an excel spreadsheet with the formula we talked about and in my spreadsheet some of the xlight id's were duplicated across Unit id's. Am I wrong?

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, »
If you only have 16 channels per controller then it can't.  If you 512 it will.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, »
The dongle does 4 512 DMX universes to Pixelnet.  Each universe would be a separate unit in LOR set up because LOR only speaks  LOR and DMX. What Rrowan was saying the 1st 1-512 would be unit  (aux a) in LOR. the second universe would be unit (aux b) 1-512...etc. That means your light # 513 would be unit b-1. The third unit would be c-1 = your channel 1025 and so on. The dongle converts the DMX commands to RJ's pixelnet.  That's why people are looking for better options then LOR S3 when you are using many hundreds or thousands of channels. It works but setting up takes a while.  I have not used it in this way but there some that have and it has been explained on a past thread.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"