Author Topic: Ray Wu's rectangle modules  (Read 1323 times)

Offline TheQueb

Ray Wu's rectangle modules
« on: November 13, 2012, »
I placed an order with Ray Wu and received my strings and rectangle modules. I've just gotten to the point where I can use them and I was doing some testing on my Smart string controllers. In going back and forth doing the testing I have had some of my  rectangle modules die on me. I'm not sure if it is the whole string of them or if it is just the first pixel as I have not cut the first ones out yet to try the rest of them. I was just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the rectangle modules that they have received lately.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Ray Wu's rectangle modules
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, »
which SSC are you using?

v1, or v2...

did you do the v3 mod?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, »
V2 with the 330ohm mod

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, »
And these were just 8 module strings

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, »
just to make sure we're both clear...    when they "die" a whole string is out?   
are the wires on the other end protected? they come bare. make sure they don't touch each other or another surface.

try wiggling the connections where the wire go into the module, maybe there's a soft spot.

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, »
Yes, when they die all eight go off.  The ends are cut and not terminated with anything but they are separated. When they stopped working they were just sitting there, not moving at all, but I have since picked them up and wiggled them around with no luck.  I measured the output voltage on my PC power supply and it's 11.86. Could that small bit below 12v be doing it somehow?  I would've thought not... I'll be cutting out the 1st one on a dead string and trying it again sometime today. My honey-do list takes priority, she says.  :-\

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, »
after they stopped working, did you put a working set in it's place?  -to rule out a blown fuse

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, »
yep

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, »
I got about 100 of the new style rectangle modules about 2 weeks ago and no problems with dead nodes but I have an issue with the epoxy making them stuck together.  Some are real bad.  Also the plastic on about 20-30 is warped but not really an issue otherwise. 

I assume you swapped the ssc to see if they work with another?  I have had some issues with a ssc losing its programming from wrong connections/shorts. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, »
About 10 or 12 of my 80 were stuck as you stated.  Getting them apart was a chore and I'm lucky there was no blood spilled...  Yes, I did try another SSC. same luck.