Author Topic: Plans for training 2014  (Read 3289 times)

Offline kernal

Plans for training 2014
« on: November 13, 2013, »
I know RJ had made the announcement that DLA would not be a part of the Acadamy next year, but does anybody know what the plans are?  I would like to learn A LOT more about this whole obsession  >.d9 and would like to have some hands on.  With vacation bidding coming up at my place of employment, I need to know what to do!!!! <;d

thanks !

Kernal
My license plate says blinky.

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
Re: Plans for training 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, »
This site should help with questions you have.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, »
I think he meant plans for DLA's products and training for 2014.

Offline kernal

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, »
Keith would be correct. 

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
Plans for training 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, »
Sorry! ;)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, »
We are still working on the plans what would everyone like to see. I would like to see it somewhere closer than the middle of Texas. And we talked about doing a Orlando Florida location so members could work their vacation time in with the weekend of the show. everyone in the family wins then and it is one time off from work.

But we are open to thoughts and opinions!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline kernal

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, »
Call me biased, but Moline, IL would be right smack dab in the middle of the country!  Hahaha...  im down for whatever!  FL trip would be fun for the kids.  This is your world RJ, we are just enjoying the ride!

Kernal

Offline tjbrickner

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, »
I'm a fan of Orlando since it's warmer than anywhere in North Dakota :)

I was looking at the overview of the 2013 Academy and it seemed to be geared more to Halloween?  I can see why this would be since there is so much more that can be done with that holiday. 

One disadvantage I have here is the lack of automated displays in this area and while I can get ideas from videos of other setups, being able to personally see different elements would help me.  Although I don't know how much fun it would be for people to haul things like that across country.
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, »
Orlando would be great for me.  My daughter recently moved there and we have been going to Disney at least a couple of times a year for over 20 years.  ;D
Luceat lux vestra

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, »
I have attended the last two Academy's and they were great.  It takes an effort to attend a show far away. Over 850 mi one way for me.  But I have also found that it is very worthwhile to make any of the one day minis that happen around the country.  I have been to them in several states and they are all fun and a good learning experience.  If you want to learn all it takes is an effort on your part to get to any of the meets that happen around the country.  I know there are usually one and two day events all over the country, from Wash state to Fla, to Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, Colorado, etc.  I would go to any of them.  It takes time and money and effort, but if you want to learn you have to do it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, »
Will there be some insight into the classes, and new kits available in time to make a decision? 
"new subject matter" will play a big part in my personal decision.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, »
The true challenge is to get enough people to make it possible. It is easy to get a bunch of people to say they will come, you can even get people to say they will help. This is where the hard part comes. Getting them to actually do it.

One of the reason all the events keep going more and more commerical. You can get people to show up if they think there is money in it for them. Diy can be a lot harder.

RJ

Offline kernal

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, »
Maybe put something in the store?  Kinda like a down payment to commit?

Offline ebornac

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, »
RJ,
I attended the academy but the DIY stuff was why we attended.  If you set up an Orlando event my brother and I would pay registration fees today. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, »
RJ,
I attended the academy but the DIY stuff was why we attended.  If you set up an Orlando event my brother and I would pay registration fees today.

We are looking for the fees to be next to nothing. We just need to cover the cost of the room. If we could get enough people to get rooms at one of the conference center hotels they will give us the room in some cases. What is the best time period for everyone next year to do this.

RJ