Author Topic: mechanical movements during show  (Read 798 times)

Offline kernal

mechanical movements during show
« on: April 12, 2014, »
Ok, so I am wondering if someone has a way to make something spin.

***enter idea here--->  My take on the Zwilluminaries   ;D is a plain white potato salad container.  I have one upside down and glued on top of one regular side up.  on the bottom i have holes to get wires in and out with a smart string 50/50 square with enuf extra wire to accomodate a spin of 180 degrees.   

***insert problem here --->  I can figure out a way to get that to make a quick 180 degree spin.  I thought of a windshield wiper motor but not sure if i can regulate the distance for that short and quick of a spin.  then i also thought about the use of a motor from an animated wire deer.  but i dont think that is quick enough. 

it would have to be a 180 spin clock wise, then a 180 spin counter clockwise so the wires dont continuously spin and pull out. 

just for some knowledge i am sequencing This Is Halloween. 

Ideas?!?!?!

Kernal
My license plate says blinky.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: mechanical movements during show
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, »
RC Servos??

Controlled by the Bobcat DMX servo controller

Just my 2 cents at one am

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, »
A stepper motor could do this easily but I'm not sure if the bobcat servo controller works with stepper motors.  I know that it was in the initial plans but .......   You could use a servo as Rick suggested but if the object is of any size, then you would need a massive servo and while they are avilable, they are also very expensive.  How fast do you really need for this to move from point A to point B?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kernal

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, »
not real fast I suppose.  I was thinking of having one side of a Zwilluminary with a design and the other side with a different design.  for the part in the song goes "I am the clown with the tear away face" with one design and then "here in a flash and never leave a trace" with a different color illuminating the container

Offline kernal

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, »
Just out of curiosity, how many other people have mechanics in their shows???  I cant be the only crazy person!

Offline jonathan_eisert

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, »

If the servo route doesn't pan out and you have your mind set on a small motor, you could use a small 3 wire slip ring. This would allow you to rotate it 360 with out the fear of the wires tangling up on themselves.  Just a quick glance on google I found some for around $10.00

I'm doing a servo controlled skeleton and other mechanical props for Halloween.