Author Topic: Phantom Power?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline robelent

Phantom Power?
« on: November 20, 2011, »
I have one express that is acting a bit strange, it works fine but sometimes during a sequence I get what I will call for lack of a better title phantom power, some of the channels will lite up very dimly, it seems to be the same channels and seems to happen at the same parts of the songs.  I have checked the sequence to make sure that they are not in that.  Also the Leds on the board do not light up when this happens.  I think I might have a ghost! :(

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Re: Phantom Power?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, »
Put anther express on the same channels and see if it acts up also, try to eliminate the dongle or your computer as the issue.

Offline crazybob

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, »
I had this problem with some DMX dimmer packs years ago. Solved it by adding a night light to the same channel as the lights. The night lights would glow softly when the channel was off, and the LED's would not turn on until they were supposed to. Although, I know that (at least the new versions of the express) have some sort of circuitry built in to take care of this problem. What version express are you running? Are you using LED's or incandescent?

Offline robelent

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, »
I have version 5, express and using incandescent lights.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, »

Are you running hardwired or wireless? There has been some issues with phantom lights with wireless.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline robelent

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, »
I run everything wired.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, »
I had a similar problem with a sequence, went through the whole thing verifying that every off section was actually off. Found that there were some channels that were on slightly, compliments of copy and paste. Those phantom lights do drive ya crazy though.

Offline robelent

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, »
Tonight I tried setting another express to the same channel as the one with the phantom lights flickering,  it did not happen on the seconf Express.  So it is not a dongle issue, or a sequence issue....   Any other ideas?

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, »
Try unplugging 1 channel at a time, see if you can locate what channel or channels are acting up. Some led lights have extra stuff in the string that can mess with dimming.

Good Luck
Have Fun!

Offline robelent

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, »
I will try this tonight, however I am not using led lights.

Offline robelent

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, »
So tonight I went out to troubleshoot this issue, and it did not happen all night.  Kind of like when you take your car in and the repair shop can't find the issue you told them about.  Thanks for everyones help, I will wait and see if it happens again. ;D

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, »
I believe we've experienced the same issue; however, using LED lights.  I too have checked & rechecked my sequences to find to wayward programming.  We have run the show twice, but while checking other issues during the second run, I failed to notice whether or not the issue repeated itself.  So...  we'll be running it again and I will pay closer attention and will let ya know what we find.   :)
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.