Author Topic: FM Transmitters  (Read 3550 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
FM Transmitters
« on: June 26, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login     Does anyone know about this or could tell me if its worth it or mabey a better one for my money I have never done this before so not sure what to look for thought I would ask the pro's before buying.

Thanks Jeff
Jeff

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: FM Transmitters
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, »
I got this 500mw and it is good for about a block.  It works like a champ.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, »
This question does come up a fair bit, take a look at this post with a discussion on what transmitter to get, I think the EDM transmitter won out in the end as it is a great valued high performance transmitter.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

You can read up a bit more over here as well

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, »
Currently over at PC someone is trying to drum up interest for a group buy on the EDM transmitter, if the order is greater than 10 then there is a 10% discount so this may be your chance to get a top quality great valued transmitter at a reduced price

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, »
For what its worth, Whole House Transmitter just released a new digital  2.0 full frequency range stereo version of the transmitter. Its on sale through tomorrow for $75 shipped.

Chris

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, »

Ron

This is the kind I was thinking about getting lol I wasn't sure if it worked all that great bc it is relatively cheap.

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, »
With a EDM set at 10mw and using the supplied wire antenna I get a full block.  EDM has the best small unit out there, bar none. Read what professional audiophile people choose and use.  That convinced me that only the EDM is the best for our use also.

It concerns me that so many people are buying questionable transmitters every year. You do not consider buying cheap controllers so why with your transmitter?

Some day these China units will cause a major problem in one of our displays, then we will start seeing additional rules and regulation added to our display requirements.

Please help in keeping our hobby safe and enjoyable.

Just my 2 cents worth.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, »
With a EDM set at 10mw and using the supplied wire antenna I get a full block.  EDM has the best small unit out there, bar none. Read what professional audiophile people choose and use.  That convinced me that only the EDM is the best for our use also.

I agree 100% - I'm on my 3rd year with my EDM-LCD using the supplied "antenna" (just a 4' length of hookup wire!) and get a full block at the default 10mW (it can be configured for up to 100mW). It would be nice to have the RDS option but I will have a full 2x2 LEDTriks so it's not needed now really. I might add a real antenna built into the LEDTriks box (whenever I get that built...) but it's down on my list of a million things to get done so who knows...

Offline cpnbnanamn

• Patron Member
  • I blame Jack for getting me hooked....
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, »
Currently over at PC someone is trying to drum up interest for a group buy on the EDM transmitter, if the order is greater than 10 then there is a 10% discount so this may be your chance to get a top quality great valued transmitter at a reduced price

Just got a PM about the group buy for EDM..  Not exactly good news.  I'm not happy with the lead out time.  I'd like to have one for Halloween. 

This was from a gentleman over at PlanetChristmas who was nice enough to include me in on this:

1)You must have at least 10 orders per model (same model) to get discount.(I think that this would not be a problem)
2)Members receive 10% discount on the unit purchase price only (no discount on the S/H) (Naturally, I really would like more. Especially if I am going to have to wait so long for delivery)
3)We must have a list from the purchase organizer of the members who wants to purchase. (Expected)
4)Deal is not open to everyone (no member name verification, no discount) (Expected)
5)If we receive an order from a member that you can’t verify, we will cancel and refund the payment. (Expected)
6)Taking of group orders will commence _near end of Aug_ust as it suits or factory production/planning better ( You will get exact date 1 week in advance) (This I am not happy about.)
7)We promise to have all orders delivered before thanks giving, like previous years for the benefit of Christmas Lights people. (This does not give the newbies much time to test their system.)
8)We will process the orders on the basis FIFO (Expected)

As much as I'd LOVE to have an EDM, it won't be here in time for Halloween. 

What do you guys think of the Ramsey Electronics devices?  I was considering the 25 or 30B......

-Roger
-Roger

I'm hoping to go NUTS this year!

Offline cpnbnanamn

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, »

Ron

This is the kind I was thinking about getting lol I wasn't sure if it worked all that great bc it is relatively cheap.

Jesse

I had looked at that, too, and was concerned about hum, etc.....

-Roger
-Roger

Offline BigVettePimp

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, »
Hey everybody.
I bought this one off E-Bay and it rocks. At full power almost 1.5 mile range. You can turn that down and it sounds as good as the local radio station.  It's kinda pricey but, "WE HAVE A SICKNESS"!!!!   LOL

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, »
Yikes - be sure to turn the transmit power WAY down - 1 Watt is way too much power unless you are trying to cover a couple of square miles...
Also, be sure to find a clear channel (no local broadcasters) and scan the dial looking for harmonics (your transmission at frequencies other than the one you are broadcasting on) or intereference with other stations when you have your transmitter running.
If you are transmitting that kind of power and the FCC gets a complaint due to interference, they will find you...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline cpnbnanamn

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, »
Ok,
  So I think I'm narrowing my choices down, but would like input.

Ramsey 25b or 30B
BlackBox V4000
HLLY? (not keen on the China/ Hong Kong thing)

-Roger
-Roger

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, »
I just got the eclipse v4000 and tested distance line of site 2 blocks of to the sides not quite 1 block , clarity exellent this is my first FM trans mitter so I nothin to compare to. just my experience with this transmitter so far so good, I did contact mobile bllack box and asked what to do to lower transmition range and they suggested a different walwart 9v
Jeff

Offline meman

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, »
Roger,  don't let the coop woes prevent you from purchasing an EDM transmitter. I just ordered one and it came to the house in about 5 days.

I went for the pricier option with case and power. The only soldering required is the power supply jack. Attach it to the PCB and you'll be  broadcasting in minutes.

Description:EDM-LCD-CS-EP, Item #:No insurance with standard shipping option!
Unit price:$134.00 USD
Qty:1
Amount:$134.00 USD

Subtotal: $134.00 USD
Shipping and handling: $15.00 USD
Total: $149.00 USD

Good Luck!
Mike E.