Author Topic: Rainbow Floods and Rainbow Flood Brain  (Read 3552 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Rainbow Floods and Rainbow Flood Brain
« on: February 13, 2011, »
Hey Guys,

I have a question about the Rainbow Flood Brain. I saw on the Christmas on Manor online store that the Rainbow Flood Brain is DMX, so I know it can be used with Lynx equipment, but I'm not sure if I will need to convert the Cat5 or not. I tried to look for a diagram of some kind that says if I had to convert the Cat5 coming from my dongle or from an LE, but I couldn't find much. So do I have to splice open a piece of Cat5 to get these things to work with my Lynx equipment? And also, how do I change the ID to the brain?

Thanks and sorry if these questions have been asked before, I did do some research, but I didn't find much.

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline LondoB5

Re: Rainbow Floods and Rainbow Flood Brain
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, »
It is my understanding that you need an MR-16 controller to drive the rainbow floods (not the brain)  from the same store. I'm not sure about the ones with built-in DMX.
If you send an email to the guy that runs the store, he gets back to you pretty quickly, from what I understand from the people on that other christmas DIY website.

-Ron

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, »
I have thought about using an MR. 16 to control them, but I'm trying to see all my options first. I have a D-Light DC controller all ready to go that I could use, and I will be using xLights to control my show, so I could use that too, but I don't want to have to cut up a bunch of Cat5 if I don't have too
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, »
The floods are just lights.  You will need your D-Light DC controller, MR16 DC Controller or the brain.  Something to drive the LED's on the floods.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, »
I have the Rainbow equipment as well as Lynx equipment.  I drive the Rainbow floods with the brain. It is driven by its own powersupply and has 5 outputs that allows you to power the floods, spots and washers etc.  I think you can have 3 floods on each output and if I remember correctly 5 spots/washers per output.  Power flows over the Cat5 to power the lights so you can't have long runs of Cat5 to them.  I like the lights but I can't compare to Ather as I've never worked with it.  I squence everything in LSP and haven't had an issue.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, »
he has an illustration of the brain being connected to an express (via dmx out) I'd just get the brain, and attach it to the flood. since they were designned for each other, no sense in reinventing the wheel or trying to determine power requirements.

kinda cool to see DLA equipment connected to someone else's stuff, when they're trying to sell their stuff
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, »
 Hi Everyone...theres a lot of good information here, let me just clarify a few things...

You need some sort of DC controller to control any of the current Rainbow Lights. That can be from LOR, d-Light, the MR16 controller from RJ or the Rainbow Brain.  The Rainbow Brain is simply a DMX based DC controller.  The only difference is it allows you to connect the Rainbow Lights directly to the controller.  With the other controllers I mentioned you need to do a little modification with the cat-5 cabling in order to attach them. (that information can be found in the light's manuals)  Like everyone said, the Brain "understands" DMX.  I have personally tested it with the Lynx dongle and can guarantee it works.  Why?  Well DMX is DMX.  If something produces DMX, the Brain will understand it. 

Here is the diagram that chrisatpsu was talking about:

...It can be found on the Support page of my site.

Now that diagram illustrates connecting the Brain after the Express.  It really doesn't matter where it goes in the DMX line.  It can be the first thing connected to the dongle or come after an Express or in between 2 DMX moving spotlights.  Again, DMX is DMX so it doesn't matter.

You can also use the Brain with the Lynx Wireless Equipment.  You can use the TX/RX if you want or you can use the EX/RX with the modifications that are shown in the Wiki.  Just remove the RS485 chip on the Brain and you are good too go.

Also, a little insider information here....We recently changed suppliers of the Superflux LEDs we use in all the Rainbow Lights.  The new LEDs are about 5 times brighter than the current LEDs and the lights really pack some punch!  We will be starting our pre-sale in about 3 weeks so everyone should sign up for our newsletter if they want to get some Rainbow Lights!!

....now back to your regularly scheduled programming!...
Greg

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, »
I know most of this everyone is saying, but I just want to know if there is any special modification I need to make to the Cat5 to get it work with my LEs? Like switching the wires around or anything like that? I looked over the user manual and saw how to change the ID on the brain, so I'm good there.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline ponddude

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, »
DUH.... ::)

Sorry I didn't answer your question...

No, there are no modifications needed.  The Lynx Dongle and all our DMX based equipment uses the industry standard DMX pin outs on the cat-5 cabling, which is pins 1 and 2.  Just a cat-5 cable is all you need.
Greg

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, »
Well I learned something new.  I emailed about the rainbow flood kits and I got a reply from Greg.  What I did not know was you are the same Greg.  Small light show world we live in.

Thank You!

Ron
My 2010 Videos