Author Topic: DIY Decorations on the forum  (Read 3575 times)

Offline CB

DIY Decorations on the forum
« on: February 20, 2011, »
Has there been any thought to a central location and library of items that each of us has made over out time decorating in one place in the forum?  Possibly sorted by the type of decorations as a selection tree (i.e. trees then mini trees, mega trees, spiral trees, etc).  I myself have done some pretty cool things that I can share as many of us have but I know just from my own experience trying to remember where in the heck I saw it before is tough.  A perfect example is the trail about mini trees, spiral trees and the north poles.  I just think it might be easier to get back to some of those items with a central location for thos things.

Just one mans thoughts.

Thanks,

Corey

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: DIY Decorations on the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, »
sure start a wiki page

I have been thinking of doing one myself

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline CB

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, »
That sounds like the perfect solution.  I will try to get that started this week and share the link to it once completed; however, if someone else feels so inclined you will not hurt my feelings by jumping the gun; just don't jump the shark.

Corey

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, »
I agree that this would be beneficial information to have centralized.  I know I've done searches on the forum (with mixed results) looking for a specific post about some decorating technique I know I read.  If I can help in any way, just let me know.

-Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, »
Hi folks,

I put together some pages to give it a start

The main link is in the FAQ page

Here is the link for the main table layout page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I created a holding spot for my micro tree. You can use this page as your start page. Just go to the link below and change the the wording after title=
so mine says title=Rick_MicroTree, change it to say something like title=CB_MegaTree
my micro tree page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So see if that works for everyone or should it be changed to something else

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, »
I have several Halloween projects I am working on that people may be interested in.  I am nearly finished with a pirate treasure chest which is going to use faceted automotive lights controlled via SSR4 to sparkle.  Just waiting on the SSR4 boards from RJ.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, by ILOVETOTRYDIY »
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline CB

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, »
That is awesome Rick, thank you for getting things started.  I hope to start gathering all of my DIY project information and sharing it as well.  I believe that once we have the general layout working this will only help all of us in the future as well as give our newbies a place to start reviewing in liue of shotgunning the "Porch", ha that sounds funny.

Corey

Offline inzeos

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, »
Hi folks,

I put together some pages to give it a start

The main link is in the FAQ page

Here is the link for the main table layout page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I created a holding spot for my micro tree. You can use this page as your start page. Just go to the link below and change the the wording after title=
so mine says title=Rick_MicroTree, change it to say something like title=CB_MegaTree
my micro tree page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So see if that works for everyone or should it be changed to something else

Cheers

Rick R.

Cool micro tree Rick!  Do you have pictures of it lighted?  What did you end up using light wise to string it?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, »

Cool micro tree Rick!  Do you have pictures of it lighted?  What did you end up using light wise to string it?

Thanks

Currently the trees are in groups of two (except for the two next to the blown molds. there is always an exception :))
I have a SSR4 attached to every other tree. There is a 100ct red and 100ct green mini lights on each. Plan is to put a SSC in each tree and a set of SS pixel nodes in a year or two (budget depending). I need to get some closer shots of the trees and locate the original build photos. :(

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, »
How do you find this wiki from the main web page?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline inzeos

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, »

Thanks

Currently the trees are in groups of two (except for the two next to the blown molds. there is always an exception :))
I have a SSR4 attached to every other tree. There is a 100ct red and 100ct green mini lights on each. Plan is to put a SSC in each tree and a set of SS pixel nodes in a year or two (budget depending). I need to get some closer shots of the trees and locate the original build photos. :(

Cheers

Rick R.

Do you have pictures from your display of them or a video?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, »

I placed the link in the FAQ page, Under General section

If the page really grows and becomes useful then I put a link on the main page

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, »
Well done Rick..    I suspect this section will grow like a wild-fire.

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, »
The misc category could have servos and movable stuff in it.

Someone who has done it should also post a how to on the singing pumpkins in the wiki where we can all find it now.

Putting all the DIY howtos in one section was a great idea, btw. It will make it all easier to find in the coming months.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, by LondoB5 »

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, »

There's a link at the top of each page.  It's the fourth "yellow" link from the right in the "green" menu bar.  It is after "CHAT" and before "BLOG".

See pic below.  It takes you to the main Wiki page which has lots....I mean LOTS of information.

Hope this helps.

Alan T