Author Topic: 12 VOLT OPTION  (Read 994 times)

Offline kfxi

12 VOLT OPTION
« on: April 11, 2013, »
What is the purpose of the kit #4, 12 volt option in the current coop.  Should I have one of these for every 16 channel active and passive hub?

Ken

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: 12 VOLT OPTION
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, »
The 12 volt option was added to the hub for some folks who had 12 power supplies (read: Ham operators, etc) and didn't want to use a pc power supply. Later it was suggested that the connector could be use to provide power for a 4 port hub but you still have to watch the amps powering up the 16 port hub plus the 4 port hub.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kfxi

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, »
Thanks,  how about one more question  how much current does a fully loaded active hub need.

Ken

Offline galgon

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, »
Define fully loaded.  Depends on what you are powering with the hub. For
Example 16 strings of 128 smart nodes at .029 amps a piece puts you just under 60 amps.  The wiki has power consumption info for all of the smart string gear.

Be sure to add a little extra (20% good rule of thumb) to the power supply you choose.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline kfxi

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, »
Thanks your example was the load I am going to use.  Does smart strings and dumb strings draw the same amount of current?  I will be using dumb strings

Ken
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, by kfxi »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks your example was the load I am going to use.  Does smart strings and dumb strings draw the same amount of current?  I will be using dumb strings

Ken

You will need to look at the current consumption of the nodes that you will be using. To answer your question, no probably not.

Offline galgon

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, »
As stated it really depends on your dumb strings and the number of nodes on them.  The max for the dumb string controller is 4 amps.  So if you manage to max out all 16 ports you are at 64 amps. 
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, »
To add a little more to Rick explanation of the 12 volt option, if i understand it correctly, A computer power supply also provides 5 volt and 3.3 volt for the on board circuitry to operate.  A 12 volt supply does not, so a 5 volt and 3.3 volt regulator are added to the board.

Offline rm357

12 VOLT OPTION
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, »
Correct. The 5v powers the 485 chips and the 3.3 is for the pic that generates the DMX output on the active hub.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA