Author Topic: 3D printer DIY  (Read 924 times)

Offline knguyen916

3D printer DIY
« on: May 10, 2013, »
I saw this and thought it was hella cool. Being able to make my own little projects. What you guys think

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: 3D printer DIY
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, »
I wonder if you could print some pixels? Maybe a Lynx Express . . .   8) LOL

Offline randyy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, »
I'm on my 3rd 3D printer.  I built my first in 2009, and it really changes the way you look at things.  Now, if I need something unusual, I just whip up a model in my CAD software and print.  Normally, it takes two or three iterations until I'm happy with the object, then I print it in fine detail.  My kid and I created a football placekicking stand one night and went out the next morning to use it (from thought to object).  It was custom so he could carry it in his school backpack.  I've made custom holders for my truck for all the little stuff that you want to have ready access to, etc.

The price on that kickstarter seems pretty good.  $350ish for a printer is pretty cheap.  Note that the "printed" models that they show, at least some of them were NOT printed on their equipment, but printed on other more expensive equipment (I know because I've seen two of the photos before, one of which I know the printer it was produced on).  No guarantees that you'll get the detail they're showing.  They're more for techies, you don't just plug them in and say "Earl Grey.  Hot." and poof, its there.  They tend to need a lot of fiddling and tuning, and 3d printers in this price class tend to break A   L O T !  Last, don't plan on getting it anywhere close to the timeline of Nov 2013.  I've backed maybe 15 projects on kickstarter and they're never on schedule, normally 3-6 months late.  I'm still waiting for a 2012 Christmas present that was supposed to be shipped last October.

Good luck

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, »
Ah, I thought you were posting *this* project:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(DIY printer -- DIY CNC ... whatz the dif?  ;))

FWIW, I thought I should mention, though, that I'm bought into my fifth successful Kickstarter project and all have been on time (well, they still haven't made that Veronica Mars movie yet, but it looks like they will).

\dmc