Author Topic: PicKit Clones?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
PicKit Clones?
« on: September 06, 2011, »
Since the PicKit is required to program the Express, I thought this might be a good place to post this question.

I need to get a PicKit so I can finish my Expresses.  I've seen PicKit 2 and 3 clones available on Ebay as well as some posting on building your own.  These options are generally cheaper than the real thing.

My question is, has anyone had any experience using the clones?  Do they work or should I spend the extra money to buy the actual Microchip PicKit?

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline PVPlaceLights

• Lola "Bean" - The Equalizer
    • Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]
Re: PicKit Clones?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, »
I've been using this Pickit 3 and ZIF for the past year.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It works perfectly with MPLAB IDE. Also, I've ordered many items from SureElectronics.net and have never had any problems and have received my orders very quickly.

--Matt
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, by PVPlaceLights »
Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, »
Jason, Just wanted to make sure. If you bought you Express from the coop they come preprogrammed and there is no need to get a pickit.

Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, »
Sure, now you tell me.  Oh well, now I'll have one for the future (a clone, anyway).

I got the same one that Matt linked to, but a little cheaper and with free shipping on eBay.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, »
This way you will have one for any updates etc that might come down the pipe....

Myk

Offline simultekie

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, »
Got the same unit from Sure electronics on E bay, $38.00 and free shipping. works great !! I have programed 2 dongles with it. :)
If it wasn't for the last minute,nothing would get done.....Murphy.