Author Topic: Cleaning connectors?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Cleaning connectors?
« on: January 10, 2012, »
Before I get too heavy into new stuff I want to restore my equipment from this past show.
There are a number of rj45 connectors (male and female) that are black from weathering or from shorts.
The connectors under the black are still testing ok with my cable tester, but I want them cleaned up to ensure that everything is in tip-top shape when I do my next setup.

(I plan to protect these MUCH better next time!)

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is there a good cleaning agent that will not leave any residue behind?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Cleaning connectors?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, »
This is interesting.  I only had one cat5 connector that was black and it was hooked to my BetaBrite display but it was sitting on the ground.  It's hard to believe they would do this in a case.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is interesting.  I only had one cat5 connector that was black and it was hooked to my BetaBrite display but it was sitting on the ground.  It's hard to believe they would do this in a case.
These were on the ground, plugged into SSCs... and connected with couplers as they ran down a megatree pole.  No problems inside a case.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, »
Ah.. In that case I'm interested as well.  On the cat5 cable male end I used a fine wire wheel on the drill.  On the connectors that will be a different issue.  Might be a problem that we could all learn someway to avoid in the future.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, »
In one experiment I just tried using Acetone with a toothbrush.  It seemed to work well. 

Gonna make sure that it is very dry before applying any current over that.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, »
I've used a soft brass wire brush on the CAT5 connection and it worked quite well.  For the plugs, such as the 3 way splitters, I just replaced them with new ones.

Offline lortiz

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, »
Hi,

I've had this problem every year with many of the RJ45 connectors. I end up mostly replacing these connectors.

I wonder if there is some kind of 'electronics grease' we can use in the RJ45 connectors before putting the controllers into the yard so we avoid corrosion due to moisture. Lithium grease ?

Can anybody provide any recommendations on this ?

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, »
Hi,

I've had this problem every year with many of the RJ45 connectors. I end up mostly replacing these connectors.

I wonder if there is some kind of 'electronics grease' we can use in the RJ45 connectors before putting the controllers into the yard so we avoid corrosion due to moisture. Lithium grease ?

Can anybody provide any recommendations on this ?

Leo

MCM Carr sells this stuff but I'm sure you can get dielectric grease from other places. Just use enough to displace the open gaps but not too much that it would inhibit the contacts from touching each other. 

Than you can just spray it of with this at the end of the season.

Should work no problem since its save for pcb's and made for electronic use.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, by Rod R »

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, »
I don't understand, aren't they usually gold-plated and therefore shouldn't readily change color?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, »
they can be made form a number of materials, from copper to brass, to gold plated.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, »
I don't understand, aren't they usually gold-plated and therefore shouldn't readily change color?

If they are gold-plated, its normally very very thin plating. So repeated plug use (plug / unplug) along with any vibrations can cause the gold to wear off or fall off. The metal underneath will definitive corrode

ymmv

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, »
I guess that I've been lucky. I've bought cheapo RJ45 ends for my cables from eBay with no problem.

However, some RJ45 couplers I have use crappy unplated copper,  but I keep them dry.