Author Topic: Configuration Utility - Unable to Update Light List - RESOLVED  (Read 1822 times)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Hi everyone. I just got my dongles and my first express built and had a successful preliminary test of the equipment using Vixen 2.1.4.0.

After installing the Lynx Express Configuration Utility I am unable to update the light list and get a download error stating "Error downloading from site".

I am running Windows 7x64 Professional.

I tried disabling my AV and firewall without success as suggested in one thread.

Next I tried right clicking on the program to run as administrator as suggested in another thread but did not have that option in the menu.

I even tried changing the Windows Background Theme around as this has allowed me to get around some compatibility issues when running a slightly outdated version of MATLAB (numerical computing environment).

I would appreciate any help in getting this problem fixed.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, by NavyGator »

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Re: Configuration Utility - Unable to Update Light List
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, »
My laptop running windows 7 i had problems with. I think its more windows 7 issue. I bought a xp computer off ebay and i am gonna use that for shows now. Its just easier to use.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, »
What does it do?

does the program start?

are the options greyed out?

does it give an error?

the software installed, and opened on my Windows 7, 64bit. But i dont have an Express to test.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My laptop running windows 7 i had problems with. I think its more windows 7 issue. I bought a xp computer off ebay and i am gonna use that for shows now. Its just easier to use.

I figured it is a Windows 7 issue also. I am considering building/acquiring an XP based machine just for this hobby but would prefer not to just yet and unless necessary. Besides I could buy more lights with the money instead of a computer. ;D

RIch

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, »
I use win7 64 bit. It is a permissions and security issue I can not remember what I had to do but I had to make windows allow the program to write to the directories of the program so it coulds save the new file.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, »
What does it do?

does the program start?

are the options greyed out?

does it give an error?

the software installed, and opened on my Windows 7, 64bit. But i dont have an Express to test.

The utility starts fine and gives an error about downloading from site.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, »
I use win7 64 bit. It is a permissions and security issue I can not remember what I had to do but I had to make windows allow the program to write to the directories of the program so it coulds save the new file.

RJ

Sounds promising at this point.  :) Now we just need to find this particular solution.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Rich

Offline pokey

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, »

Run the apps as Administrator (right click it's icon)....that solved it for me.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, »
It might be a User Account Control (UAC) issue.  You could try turning off UAC in Windows.  You can find the setting by going to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control Setting.  In Win 7 they changed this setting to use a slider.  Slide it all the way down to "Never Notify".  This is sometimes necessary for legacy software to work correctly under Win 7.

-Mike

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, »
It might be a User Account Control (UAC) issue.  You could try turning off UAC in Windows.  You can find the setting by going to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control Setting.  In Win 7 they changed this setting to use a slider.  Slide it all the way down to "Never Notify".  This is sometimes necessary for legacy software to work correctly under Win 7.

-Mike

Looks like your the winner Mike. Thanks! I guess my recommendation would be to disable the UAC while updating the light list then return it to its original setting when complete.

Rich