Author Topic: multiple networks on same machine  (Read 1836 times)

Offline fyb2000

multiple networks on same machine
« on: December 11, 2012, »
Is it possible to have the utilities (smart string programmer, conductor panel...) know which network on your machine is the etherdongle attached to? Something similar than selecting the com port used when working with a Lynx dongle.
Before using the conductor (thank you Sebastian), I was using (well trying to...) the LSP scheduler to replay my shows. If the etherdongle was on the main network, it would make the rest of the network unusable for the rest of my house, as there was too much communication going through. So I installed a secondary network, dedicated to the etherdongle and it worked fine from LSP (you can select which Network is used when you configure your controllers output). But it would not be recognized by the utilities (like the smart string programmer).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, by fyb2000 »

Offline pwalstead

Re: multiple networks on same machine
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, »
Not knowing exactly what software you are running this may help.  It sounds like you are confusing an Ethernet network, to which your Etherdongle is attached, with other types of networks such as your Pixelnet network for your smart stings and your DMX network for your DMX devices. While they are all networks they each use different communications protocils and have different requirements.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, »
You can do it with some static routing on your computer.  There is a thread on here where we helped someone with this issue.  You have to get specific about the addresses you want to reroute though.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not knowing exactly what software you are running this may help.
Was the first sentence of my request...

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, »
Thanks for the link Chris. I'll try to get the steps to push the NIC card controlling the etherdongle above the regular one, so our utilities do work. Of course my setup is always a bit more challenging, running Windows and all the software inside an OS X window (through fusion). So far, I have yet to see an hardware incompatibility, so those steps might work. Of course the Network stack is controlled by fusion directly, so might have to fight a bit more there.
My current solution has been to swap the network cable whenever I needed to use the Lynx utilities. It's all on my desk, so not that big of a deal, but I liked the convenience of the software switch to select the com port when I was using the USB dongle.