Author Topic: connectors and weather  (Read 647 times)

Offline ghethco

connectors and weather
« on: January 28, 2013, »
YANQ: yet another noob question :-)

I've run normal lights with normal extension cords in the past without problems.  We don't get much severe weather here, but drizzle is common.  I've been surprised that nothing shorts during rain since I don't think the normal extension cords are anywhere near weatherproof.

I've heard people mention RJ45/Cat5 connectors shorting, so sounds like some weatherproofing is a good idea there, but what about the rest?  I've heard of people using the spray corrosion proofing, any other ideas?

I take it since I've not had problems with extension cords in the past with normal lights, having them hooked up to controllers doesn't change anything except now they're going on and off a lot :-)

To weatherproof or not to weatherproof?

Gary

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: connectors and weather
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, »
Yes you'll want to weatherproof.  I myself didn't do much this year but then again we didn't have that bad of weather.  Had a few days of rain and a blizzard.  Ill be doing more this year, corrosion x (or similar) and heat shrink over the end of rj45 (enough to block more water out but allow taking the cable out still)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: connectors and weather
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, »
I use the plastic grocery bags and wrap the connections between cords and lights.  Is it water/weather proof?  No, but it makes it more difficult for the water/snow to cause shorts.  It's a cheap and easy way to be proactive.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login