Author Topic: LED string fuse blowing  (Read 2099 times)

Offline urthegman

LED string fuse blowing
« on: January 29, 2013, »
Hello All, After wondering for years why they even gave spare fuses on LED light strings, I have my first set that is blowing fuses repeatedly. They are on a 100 count GE string that I purchased at Costco 2 years ago. The string has removable bulbs (uggh, made the mistake of buying removable) and because I thought the problem was rusty leads, I checked each bulb and cleaned the rust off of 3 or 4 that were starting to rust. When that didn't work, I checked the fuse,and both of them were blown. replaced both, plugged it back in and proceeded to blow that set and one more. Any ideas what might be causing it? I will replace the bulbs that were starting to rust and see if that does the trick. P.S.The strand is on a mini-tree on a metal wreath stand. Should I take it off the stand and see if perhaps there is a thin spot on the wire that is in contact with the stand? Thanks,George

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: LED string fuse blowing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, »
It does sounds like a short somewhere could be the metal.

Visible inspection of the wires along with each end of the string.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, »
Does this light string have a large plug housing? Much longer than a normal light string plug? Is this the "Constant ON" light string?

If so there is diodes inside the housing and may have shorted out causing the fuses to blow. The unit is sealed and will be hard to reseal.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, »
Yes Dennis, It has a larger and longer plug housing and yes it is a "Constant On" string. Is there any way to build another plug? I have a bunch of LED power cords for LED rope light I can replace the plug with. Or am I better off removing the plug and making one of my other 100 light strings a 200 light string?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes Dennis, It has a larger and longer plug housing and yes it is a "Constant On" string. Is there any way to build another plug? I have a bunch of LED power cords for LED rope light I can replace the plug with. Or am I better off removing the plug and making one of my other 100 light strings a 200 light string?

PM Sent.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login