Author Topic: cold blast - how cold?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
cold blast - how cold?
« on: February 02, 2011, »
Castle Rock, CO - el. 6500'

It was -18.7 F air temp this morning, only -15 F now ...
luckily no wind ...

schools were cancelled yesterday and today ... whimps!

stay warm!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

Re: cold blast - how cold?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, »
Well here in Ferndale just north of Detroit we got 6+ inches of snow and are having 20mph winds giving us an adjusted temp of right around 0 F and an actual temp of 19F  So although the local news outlets are making sound like the storm of the century we really don't have it as bad as a lot of other areas of the country.  On a related note Puxatony Phil didn't see his shadow so we will have an early spring....  <la..
Jeff Squires

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, »
Oklahoma City is at 5 degrees with winds 10-25 mph.  That gives us a wind chill of -15  We got 8-15 inches of snow Feb 1st. (yesterday).  I know some places get much worse but for Oklahoma this is damn cold.  We are not prepared for weather like this in Oklahoma city.  I live 38 miles from work.  I am thankful that the boss closed the office yesterday and today.  A guy can't beat 2 free days of pay.   I used yesterday to build my Lynx Aeon clock.  (Yes I had not even started... shame on me  <fp. ) I had fun and got paid at the same time  <;d   To top it off, IT WORKS!

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, »
Where I am in So. California it is a cold 46F at 7:30 AM.  Forecast to get to 65F today.

Expected to be 78F on Saturday.
No rain in the forecast.

Sorry, I feel for you folks.
-Jeff

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, »
I'm sorry you guys got all this bad weather. Please be careful.
Sunny and 35 in Portland Oregon. Supposed to get to 50 tomorrow.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, »
Partly Cloudy and 70 here in Wake Forest NC.  I am really gettting tired of this cold weather.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CB

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, »
I got a 1/2" of freezing rain, 3.4" of sleet and then 9" of snow where I live near St. Louis yesterday.  My company also called off for the day yesterday and today but today I have meetings during the afternoon so I will see if I can bounce the company truck off of any guardrails.

Yesterday I got to get out all of my mini trees and change them and got paid for it as well.  Gotta love those kind of days.  However it is colder than a witch's tatas today.  my truck has been running for 20 minutes now and the windshield still looks like a glazed donut.

I hope that everyone that sees this storm stays safe and warm.

Corey

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, »
 I live just north of Mt. Vernon IL we got about 1/2 inch of Ice but not much snow. Lost power yesterday around 5pm and just get it back at 10am "Thank God we have a generator". I spent all night on generator watch. Its not to bad right now about 20F will be 0F tonight.
Corey,  You are not to far from me.
Now I know who to call for help  ;)
Scott
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline FlashG

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, »
 It was 19 in Austin Texas this morning.   Anything below 50 here is way too cold.   We are having rolling blackouts to keep up with the electricity demands. 

I guess I will not be soldering tonight.. :(

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, »
It was 19 in Austin Texas this morning.   Anything below 50 here is way too cold.   We are having rolling blackouts to keep up with the electricity demands. 

I guess I will not be soldering tonight.. :(

Those stinking blackouts were going so fast in Dallas they fried a control board in one of our UPS systems at our data center there.  Causing all types of problems with our hosted service.  I am working from home and it has been anything but easy for me.  I have had to recharge my iphone twice because of all the calls I am handling. 
I just LOVE this weather  <md..   

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, »
-2 when I got off work yesterday morining +22" of new snow!. The enjoyable single lane 2 hour drive home (28 miles) was met by a 5' snowbank at my mother-in-law's. Only 1 hour to get her completed, then homeward for my 3' drift and 200' drive. Bed by noon, up at 4 back at work by 6pm.  12 hour shift......should have stayed in bed.... <fp.
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, »
It was -3 this morning in southern NH and more snow is forecast for this weekend and next week.  Probably not the worst winter we've ever had, but it's getting close.  I was able to get the mini-trees and controllers out of the yard before this, but the lawn lights, wires, and mega-tree are still there and likely won't come out until April at this point.

-Mike