Author Topic: Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!  (Read 3384 times)

sjb

Re: Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, »
With you stating that you had them on wireless and with other 9 other LE's, the LE on your test bed is terminated and the jumper for wireless is on?

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, »
Steve I did move the jumper on for no wireless and I am terminating.  It is strang to have the data light on and zero movement on a device that was moving 2 minutes earlier when I started this mess.  It is almost like the power is going through the dongles, but know data is flowing or the data is poor.

thanks for reminding me to check the jumper.

Kevin

sjb

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, »
No Problem.
The LE does go through the self test mode with lights working? If Yes then it narrows it down.

Nothing has changed with the COM port settings? (within sequence program or computer)

Sequence program is set to output through the dongle? (within Vixen the plugin for the dongle is "enabled")

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, »

The LE does go through the self test mode with lights working? Yes  no problem when using the on board test on the LE. Everything is pretty.

Nothing has changed with the COM port settings? no on all three test software systems I have verified correct setup and I do not get a single error. I also verifed each time I tested with the USB and the Ethernet dongles. (within sequence program or computer)

Sequence program is set to output through the dongle? Yes I enable the USB when using the USB dongle and the Ethernet/DMX  when using the Ethernet dongle.  I am not using pixelnet at all. (within Vixen the plugin for the dongle is "enabled")

Of course the Lynx DMX deck does not work the the Ethernet dongle. but I had been using the DMX deck all day testing each channel with the USB dongle.  Then all of the sudden everything stuck in its last known state and I lost all DMX but I still show a green data light on the LE. It is weird. I do not even get an error.  Everything will run as usual except for the fact that I am not getting the DMX to any devices like my LE.

Kevin

sjb

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, »
Damit Kevin, here I wanted to help you out for all the help you have given me. LOL ;D

With the data light on and the DMX light on, on the LE makes me think that this means you are getting communication from the dongle to the LE. With no errors coming from the sequence program it sounds like it is seeing the dongle.

With it happening on 3 dongles this leaves us with only a few options.
1) Are you using the same cables to test both USB dongles, if yes then
2) Are you using the same Cat 5 cable from all 3 dongles to the LE's, if yes then swap out with known good cat 5 cable.
3) if you answered no to 1 + 2 then we are left with only the possibility of the software not outputting DMX.

If you have ruled out #3 this leaves us with the question of WHAT THE @#$%?

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, »
With it happening on 3 dongles this leaves us with only a few options.
1) Are you using the same cables to test both USB dongles?  YES
2) Are you using the same Cat 5 cable from all 3 dongles to the LE? YES if yes then swap out with known good cat 5 cable (Did this also).
3) if you answered no to 1 + 2 then we are left with only the possibility of the software not outputting DMX. I am actually thinking the computer is not sending all the information.  The dongles look like they are doing what they are intended to do, but I am not getting all the information to make it blink.  It is very strange and I have never seen this problem before on my test bed or in this site. 

thanks for all the help.

I will be reloading XP tonight and starting with a clean slate.   

If you have ruled out #3 this leaves us with the question of WHAT THE @#$%?  I am currently at this point.

We will get it figured out. I think it is the CPU.  Everything else is running fine.  I am going to also try my WIN 7 machine. I love learning, but not at crunch time.

Kevin

sjb

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, »
By now you should have your conductor done. Test it with this and eliminate the computer aspect?  Just kidding, but if you do have the conductor built, is this an option?

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, »
I almost have the conductor finished.  I am pretty sure it would solve the issue for the time being.  I can than work on the test bed and find out exactly what is going on with the darn system. 

Thanks again.

Kevin

sjb

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, »
Kevin.

Did you have any luck reloading XP or did the windows 7 box help?

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, »
Thanks for asking.  I finally got my XP machine reloaded.  Dang, that thing is fast when only running XP. lol

I did load Vixen on my Win 7 machine and did more sequencing adjustments.  I have yet to try to connect to my dongles.  I think it will be fine.  I will know more this evening.

Offline onesmoothhead

Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, »
Latest status.  I rebuilt my XP machine. I am currently using my USB dongle of three years. I have a LE known to be good for three years.  When I run my show in Vixen my LE does not respond. I have a data light on and am not running wireless right now. Very simple troubleshooting layout. I have also used the DMX tester with the same results. What is next? 485 chip? I have reviewed all the jumper position and voltages. I have also download all new firmware and pushed it to all PICs. I am truly at a loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sjb

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, »
Kevin.

I know that you said the jumpers are set correctly, but could it be possible that the jumper for wireless is not making a good connection. Are you able to wigle it slightly as you are sending data to the LE to confirm the pins are not slightly damaged?

Just a thought.

Steve

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Latest status.  I rebuilt my XP machine. I am currently using my USB dongle of three years. I have a LE known to be good for three years.  When I run my show in Vixen my LE does not respond. I have a data light on and am not running wireless right now. Very simple troubleshooting layout. I have also used the DMX tester with the same results. What is next? 485 chip? I have reviewed all the jumper position and voltages. I have also download all new firmware and pushed it to all PICs. I am truly at a loss.

Have you tried another program like XLights? Use the Test portion and see if you can manually control the lights as assigned.

If so then your problem might be in the vixen setup.

JMHO.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, »
Steve I tied the jumper together to make sure that was not a problem. Dennis, I am trying Xlights now. Interesting I grabbed another LE and it is doing the same thing. I verified my com ports. I will let you know what Xlights will do for me.

sjb

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, »
I do not know Kevin, but my gut keeps pointing to cables as you have used two different computers, 3 dongles and 2 LE.

Re-reading this post you said your daughter was doing homework on the windows 7 computer. Have you used it to test yet?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, by sjb »