Author Topic: Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!  (Read 3386 times)

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, »
I have tried the WIN7 machine, but that is another issue. I can not get it to recognize the ETD. It is time to step away and think about what I am missing. It is probably very simple, but I am complacent. All of my stuff was running fine and then it quit. Thanks for the help and I will still take any and all ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, »
Here is the latest. I moved my USB dongle over to my win7 machine. I get all the same symptoms and issues. I really do not think it is a software issue. Xlights test did not work nor did the DMX tester. I am guessing it is a 485 chip somewhere that has gone bad. It is funny to me that both dongle will light the data light in the LE. Oh we'll, I refuse to give up. I am going to read some more about the ETD and windows 7 issues. I cannot even get that machine to recognize the ETD.

Offline onesmoothhead

Re: Loss of DMX on Eithernet and USB dongles. Ugh!
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, »
Xlights test did not work.  LE data light is still on, but no channel movement. WIN 7 machine was tested withthe USB dongle and xlights and DMX test and nothing except that data light on. 
I did take a sliding pictue of the dongle lights to make sure the green light was refreshing and it is doing that for sure.

I am up for anything. I would hate to have to take my lights down and never run a show this year.

Thansk again for all your help. 

Kevin

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, »
I narrowed down the problem to any LE with TX/RX. Even if I am not using the RX. I can reprogram the pic on the RX and LE. It will run fine in wired mode, but if I disconnect power I lose the pic programming and function.

I guess I need to figure out the TX/RX issues and then I should be back up and running. I do not have a dongle issue at all. I am also confused because it does not matter if the LE has ever been connected it will not pass data. I figured this out when I connected an LE that has never had RX solder in and it is working fine with all the DMX test.

sjb

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, »
Hey Kevin

I just read this in another post

Does everything have the most current firmware? One of the firmware changes modified the frequencies that are used for each universe. The old firmware will not talk with new...

Not sure when this firmware change happened, but could it be possible that you re-flashed your transmitter with the new firmware and all your receivers have the old firmware?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by sjb »

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, »
Hey thanks. I am going to flash all my stuff with new firmware. Thanks for catching that thread. I had not done any flashing precious to. My problem, but I have since.

sjb

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, »
Hey Kevin

Also what about replies #11 & #13  in this post

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, »
Steve,

I have an answer for my issue.  I did check the post 11 and 13 thank you. Here is what is actually happening. I only spent a week and rebuilt a computer in the process.

Remember I was running a complete wireless show. That would be 11 LEs on wireless.  I checked to make sure I was running the latest firmware for wireless. I decided late last night, to try a spare LE that I never connected wireless.  Let me mention that I love the wireless option. It is amazing! This is not by any means a common problem with wireless and I suggest using it when you can.

Well after connecting my Non-wireless LE, I discover my dongles are fine. Which probably means my CPU was fine, just slow. Anyway, the wireless cards were causing my issue. If they are placed and connected inside the LE, the LE pic would lose its firmware and not use the DMX signal.  This would explain the data light on, but not working. Even with the jumper placed in the correct position if would still fail the pic.

Once I removed the actual wireless card for the LE it works fine in the wired config.

Interesting, I also have two TX/RX and decided to try them with each other,and they failed at my house and with proper separation.  I ran them over to my friends house out in the desert and they work fine.  I decided to see how busy the wifi frequency is around my house. It turns out it is as chatty as a 15 year old on Red Bull. The chatter is huge!  I know it is a long story, but my areas too Busy for wifi this year.

My show is hard wired with a bunch of cat5, but it is running.

I want to thank everyone for the help and extra checks. I really needed all the help to make sure i don't get tunnel vision.

Thank and Merry Christmas,

Kevin

Offline tpctech

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, »
I am glad you got everything up and running.  I use DMX professionally everyday and if we can run a wire we do.  But we will use pro DMX wireless when we need to. As we all get more DMX items.  I find a good cheap American DJ or MCM small DMX light board makes a great DMX test source.  it just eliminate one of the major DMX variables.

KEN

sjb

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, »
Sucks about the wireless, but it is great that you are running and having a show.

Have a great season.

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, »
I am going to look into the test board. I heard the bobcat tester is good also. I need something.