Author Topic: Everyone's (Yes that means YOU) things that I have leaned with Light Animation  (Read 5339 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
This is for everyone to add what they have learned doing this "hobby"

I will start off with a few things:

Number One rule: NEVER NEVER put a controller or any smart device in a location that you can't get to it doing your show season. I will guarantee that it will fail while covered with snow or ice. Example I used to have a LE on my roof. Guess what I had problems with it. Once I mounted it to my back wall and ran custom extension cords to the lights its been working great for two years.

Number Two rule: Once a show is running don't make any hardware changes to it unless there is a problem. Example - Your show is happily working and some wise guy named Rick R posts that his new conductor works great. Now you build yours and you have problems getting it setup properly causing you stress. Now what wise guy Rick forgot to mention is he worked out his setup issues before the show started. So just don't do it. Live what you setup and tested before the show season and test new hardware later when there is less stress and the DLA members have more time to help you with any issues.

Number Three rule: (only because I like the number 3) Its Never too early to start working on your sequences. Its the longest part of the hobby (hardware is quick and easy compare to sequencing). You don't need anything but a computer and your imagination. Of course a digital picture of your house will help with the preview.

Bonus rule: Remember no matter how stress you are about if the light(s) blink at the correct millisecond no one but you will notice it. Your audience will just enjoy the lights and music. So remember to have fun with the hobby otherwise why do a hobby you can't enjoy?

Ok now lets seem more things everyone has learned so far. I don't care if its your first time or your 100th time.

Have fun with it.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

sjb

Stop trying to catch up to others and work with what you have.

Read the assembly manual twice and understand it before going gung ho in the assembly  <fp. (not saying I did not do this of course)

Always take advise from other members as they are not trying to hurt your feelings, they are trying to help you (without knowing what your skill sets are).

And finally, which I believe is the most important rule of all: Be grateful every day for finding this community and always be an active member within it.

Steve

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Never plug an aether directly to the house outlet.
Check all your connection before applying power. This will save your fuses.
Start setting
Up your display sooner than you think. This allows you to test your lights.
Sebastian from California

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Some additional rules:

Do what you love.  Sequence to songs you love.

Listen to the spouse's input.  If she/he wants four leaping arches this year, guess what is going to be in the show this year?  Her/his involvement will help you stay involved with your hobby.

Plan early, plan earlier.  You will NEVER be starting early enough.

Involve your neighbors.  They are the ones who really have to put up with your choices more so than you do.  In truth, you voluteered them to watch and listen to your show each night.  Doing something to involve them in the process will help the annoyance greatly.
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JerryPlak

Be realistic with your projects and timeline most of all set an cut-off date for your projects!!
that way you can truly have fun setting up your Display.
Jerry Plak

Offline J4A4E

Everything will take longer to do then you figured on

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Establish up front the last (I mean final!) date when you will make no more changes to your plan.

There will ALWAYS be one more thing that you want to do, and if you let it carry you away -- soon you will have nothing to show for all of those grand ideas.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Waterproofing.  Get it right.

Small things can make a big difference, and in some cases can keep someone from getting hurt.  Small things, like keeping the connections off the ground.  Or, turning the pigtail connections so that water flows down over the sealed part of the connector -- and not into the contacts. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
don't underestimate setup time, plan on it raining...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon

Bonus rule: Remember no matter how stress you are about if the light(s) blink at the correct millisecond no one but you will notice it. Your audience will just enjoy the lights and music. So remember to have fun with the hobby otherwise why do a hobby you can't enjoy?

I'm am a regular guest to the show in my neighbors yard.  And hate it when he can't get his lights to go off and on at the right millisecond. :)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
At tear down DO NOT throw away something that you swear you will never use again!!! As rules state above, things take longer than you plan so that past item you just got rid of just may need to be used again!

I have things in my display that I take down and say that I won't use again that have lasted me 5 years longer and still go up every year!  ;)  ;D

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Almost all kids love songs by the Chipmunks.
Plan on taking twice as long to sequence than originally planned.
Make a plan and stick to it.
Label everything even if you know you won't forget where it goes.
The light string that is the hardest to get to is the one that will go out first.
Gremlins exist.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent

Why not?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator

Why not?

I think he met Aether II which is 12v ac not 120v ac

Rick R.

P.S. Thanks everyone for their wisdom. Keep it going!!!

Like:

Get the Radio Shack desolder iron for those times you need to remove a part from the board. Its worth every penny they ask for it.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Failure to plan is planning to fail.  Make sure to have backup hardware.  Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as you decide to NOT have a backup piece of hardware, is the very moment your hardware will fail.  This also goes for having spare triacs and optis on hand as these are sure to be needed when you least expect to need them.

One thing I have learned is that there is always someone who has done a bigger (and usually better) show than I ever have dreamed of doing.  The axiom to this is that there is always (usually? LOL) someone out there smarter than I am (and more skilled).  Most problems that occur have been solved many times over by quite a few folks.  The worst thing you can do is NOT ask for help.

Stealing ideas and construction ideas is not only okay, it is encouraged -- for light layouts and for ideas for sequencing.

The most ridiculous song is usually the most popular for your Halloween show (PSY's Gangnam Style this year, LMFAO's Party Anthem last year).  Embrace it.  It helps to have a teenager in the house to let you know what is 'cool' and will work.
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login