Author Topic: Everyone's (Yes that means YOU) things that I have leaned with Light Animation  (Read 5340 times)

Offline DonFL

Beware of "scope creep", especially in late summer or early fall. Resist making those last minute major changes that seem like they would take your display to the next level. They can wait for next year.

And..get comfortable with the word "more"..you will always need "more" of something..money, time, SPT, plugs, fuses, etc.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
If you're making the jump into RGB stuff, don't sell off your old stuff just yet.

come show time, you'll still wish you had some of it...    <fp.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Is anyone gonna go through this list and make a grass roots wisdom page for the wiki? *grin*
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lortiz

My #1 rule after couple years in this hobby.

"It doesn't have to be PERFECT!"

I've been enjoying this hobby a lot more since I started following this rule.

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Attend a mini or two or three.  They are great for meeting like minded folks and picking up ideas.

Find all the folks you can who do animated lighting in your area.  It does not matter what hardware they are using the problems and challenges are all similar and it is great to know someone you can call to talk to or visit with.  We have 6 shows in my town and probably 15 or so in the county.  I have gone out of my way to meet everyone of them.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline therealbigjim

Start early and plan to spend time with your family ( wife kids and dogs). One or two days a week  starting now will free up time when the sun is shining and people want to do things.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

If you don't want to have to rebuild your flying reindeer contraption, tie it down in more than one spot when the winds get above 20mph (4 spots seems to work perfectly) and don't run it if they are above 15mph, there will be other nights to run it!!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
^^^^Show off!^^^^  ;)

Offline typoagain

1) Check your lights and controllers BEFORE you set them up in the display

2) Don't climb higher than you are willing to fall

3) The sign on the ladder that says - "Do not step above this rung" is there because someone once stepped above that rung while violating number 2 above  perhaps while trying to make up for number 1 above.

4) Parachute Landing Falls (PLF's) are not just for parachuting.  They are critical come set up time when it is possible that any of the three lessons above are about to be relearned.

Steve

Oh the wisdom here!

My small contribution:

Remember this, if Murphy decides to spend the holiday at your house you can always run half the lights static and you will STILL have a far better display than nearly every other house in your town.

Just do what you can and don't sweat the rest. After all, this is supposed to be FUN!
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline MrChristmas2000

That reminds me.

Add a 'Static' sequence to your show for those that want to photograph it (it also lets you locate lights that have gone out). You might even announce that it's being turned on for pictures. I feel that somewhere around 15 to 30 seconds should be sufficient. I am debating for 2013 to do it every 2 songs.

Offline travailen

^^^^ +1 ^^^^

Great idea! I am adding Charlie Brown Christmas next year. When he says 'light please" they will all come on. Thanks for the idea.

Rick S

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Hi Guys,

Some of my thoughts:

1. Always keep the wife (spouse) happy. As others have said let the family help come up with new display elements and songs as well as involving them in the hobby so it is fun for all.
2. Creativity is your best friend and worst enemy.
3. Sequencing.......
3. Before adding strings of lights (legacy) to any display item label the plugs on both ends with a sharpie or paint them the corresponding color.
4. With the creativity try to be ingenious and come up with ways to mount and store elements to make setup and tear down easier. Don't be afraid to use something in a manner different than its original purpose. This is especially important in my circumstance (go Navy) where I might not be home for the holidays. This gives the wife the ability to set up either a simple static display or run last years show (ties into #7 also).
5. Share your ideas so other can use and/or modify them for their needs as this is what the community is about.
6. Get a dedicated show PC and try to organize a file structure that allows you to easily find things on the computer related to your display, software, sequences, hardware, etc.
7. Take pictures and make plans of your display as this will make setup easier for next year (so you remember how you did something).
8. Don't go broke supporting the hobby, see #1. As addictive as this is, don't spend $4000 dollars on lights if you can only spend $400 dollars. Be realistic with the amount of money that you can spend (not charge) so you don't break the bank. The people that have awesome displays have typically been doing this for a long time or have a better paying job than you or me.
9. Have other hobbies that you can turn to when you are burned out or need to focus on other things, mine include sport shooting with the family, woodworking, playing paintball with the wife and kids, spending time with the wife (date night), spending time with the kids (movie/game night) and spending time with friends and family (barbecues).

Lastly and in an effort to quit rambling see my last lesson learned.

10. Always keep the wife happy, see rule #1 and always repeat.

-Rich

Offline therealbigjim

"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline JonB256

• My website
If you tell people that your show will start on the day after Thanksgiving, don't kill yourself by staying awake 48 hours doing marathon setup.

Start a day late. Maybe two. You're not getting paid to do this.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Leaving on a set of display items at night is good for security and also also making filming much easier.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]