Author Topic: dongle issue  (Read 6891 times)

Offline keitha43

Re: dongle issue
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, »
The range of channel numbers for DMX in your sequencing program depend on which jumper you have DMX set to on the active hub. One  of our members explains it best in this document. 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by mirror.
Are the first 512 channels mirrored?

I was saying just because you set a grouping of DMX channels (example - 1-512) it doesn't mean those channels disappear from the pixelnet channels. Channel one could be use by both the DMX and Pixelnet at the same time. Granted its not something most people do but I want to be sure everyone knows its a possibility. Other wise down the road someone will say HEY no one told me that………

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, »
I'm still slightly confused. The problem is just for the lsp program ( not the active hub ). When I try to start running the program the dmx input  keeps popping up. The lsp program doesn't know which hub I'm using. So could the issue be that the first 512 channels need to be dmx only which matches a dongle, then the rest be pixel? I made the first 224 channels for dmx and then started my pixel at 225. Is this the problem?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, »
Okay if you will be using an etherdongle your DMX controllers all need to also be set to E1.31 DMX over ethernet. Just like your pixelnet controllers. And your output configuration manager should just have E1.31 DMX output-Zone 1 where you configured youe etherdongle.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, »
I don't have the etherdongle . I flashed my dmx dongle ... So does what you say still apply?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, »
No. If your dongle is flashed with pixelnet firmware use Pixelnet/Smartstrings for your controller type just like your pixelnet controllers. If it is only flashed DMX use entec dmx pro

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, »
Sounds like I need a etherdongle and an active hub to do smart strings and dmx....

Offline keitha43

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, »
I think with the usb dongle flahed for pixelnet would work with the active hub. Set all your jumpers on the active hub to 1. Then tell LSP your DMX controller is a Pixelnet/Smartstring controller. Have you DMX controllers channels somewhere between 1-512. And your pixelnet channels between 1-4096 but not the same as your DMX channels unless you want to mirror the DMX effects and Pixelnet effects at the same time.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, »
But the issue still remains. Set the dmx and pixel seperate? I think that may be causing the issue.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, »
Set them the same. "Pixelnet/Smartstrings" setting for both controllers and also the output configuration screen. You are just sending Pixelnet from LSP. The active hub generates the DMX and with the jumper set to "1" it generates DMX for channels 1-512. However if you have any Pixelnet SSC's programmed in the range of 1-512 they will also flash as the channels 1-512 are outputting both DMX and Pixelnet outputting from the active hub. If you don't have an active hub you can't get DMX as a passive hub is Pixelnet only.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, »
Can you take a screen shot of the pop up that you get in LSP. Are you trying to test lights? ie output to the hub?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, »
If you are going to take DMX out of the active hub, forget the word DMX.  You have no DMX devices to configure in the software.  You will have 4096 channels which the software thinks are being controlled by E1.31.  The HARDWARE will convert the first 224 channels to DMX protocol (not the software) so quit trying to tell the software that you are configuring DMX because you are not, at least as far as the software is concerned.  You need to get your mind wrapped around the differences between hardware generated protocols and software generated protocols.  You appear to be getting confused by what your lighting elements are versus what the software is doing, i.e., controlling channels.  If you think this is bad wait until you have a lot of RGB to configure.  LSP can do so amazing things with RGB using transitions, but it all very dependent on how you set up your preview screen, but that is another story for a future time.  Just keep learning one thing at a time, it took me awhile to get my mind wrapped around all this configuration stuff.  Now if I could just learn how to sequence and find the beat in the audio.  Duh.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, »
If you are going to take DMX out of the active hub, forget the word DMX.  You have no DMX devices to configure in the software.  You will have 4096 channels which the software thinks are being controlled by E1.31.  The HARDWARE will convert the first 224 channels to DMX protocol (not the software) so quit trying to tell the software that you are configuring DMX because you are not, at least as far as the software is concerned.  You need to get your mind wrapped around the differences between hardware generated protocols and software generated protocols.  You appear to be getting confused by what your lighting elements are versus what the software is doing, i.e., controlling channels.  If you think this is bad wait until you have a lot of RGB to configure.  LSP can do so amazing things with RGB using transitions, but it all very dependent on how you set up your preview screen, but that is another story for a future time.  Just keep learning one thing at a time, it took me awhile to get my mind wrapped around all this configuration stuff.  Now if I could just learn how to sequence and find the beat in the audio.  Duh.
He is using a usb dongle so the correct settings are Pixelnet/Smartstrings instead of E1.31. for both Pixelnet and DMX controllers.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, »
If you are going to take DMX out of the active hub, forget the word DMX.  You have no DMX devices to configure in the software.  You will have 4096 channels which the software thinks are being controlled by E1.31. 

Lets not get anyone confused.  He is NOT using the ETD so there is no E1.31 either.  He is using his USB dongle flashed with Pixelnet firmware and he needs to use the Pixelnet/Smartstring controller.  After that and as you said, there is no defining or separating DMX and Pixelnet in the software.  Just assign the channels to the display items that you want them to control, make sure that you use the first 512 for DMX devices, set the controllers to the proper starting channel, and let the hardware send the proper control signals to the controllers.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, »
Ok I think that I have what he is doing figured out. Keith is correct. What you need is an Active hub and all of your problems will be solved. I do recommend getting and ETD though. It is the future USB dongle is the past.