Author Topic: Chauvet 1800  (Read 4134 times)

Offline tindivall

Chauvet 1800
« on: January 02, 2014, »
I am looking at purchasing this fog machine for my Halloween display, however prior to dropping the $$ on it wanted to see if anyone has used it (if so their thoughts)... I also wanted to make sure it is going to work with the equipment.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It has a 3-Pin & a 5-Pin DMX input....  So I am thinking I can purchase a DMX to RJ-45 adapter.... and then run cat5 off of a Zues or Hub into the adapter

Thoughts?

Offline tbone321

Re: Chauvet 1800
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, »
First of all, both the Zeus and the Hub are PixelNet devices so you cannot just run a cat5 off of one of those devices.  We also only use 2 wires for DMX, so you need to make sure that you use the two signal wires and ignore the ground/shield that the three pin uses.  A custom cat5 cable will need to be made to connect your DMX fogger from its pins to pins 1 (signal +) and 2 (signal reference) used by our devices.  With that being said, you can run your custom cat5 connection off of the DMX converter on a Smart Hub if you are using PixelNet.  I am looking into that fogger myself and it looks like a good one with more than enough output for my cemetery scene.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, »
To add to what Tbone was saying, You may want to make the adapter yourself as there is no guarantee that a RJ45 to XLR adapter will work it all depends on how the internal connections are set.  The WIKI has some diagrams I believe.
Jeff Squires

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, »
What's the going rate on one of them? Also, the 1300 has a remote control unit, do you really need DMX control for a fogger? Do these things work in rainy conditions? (I should do some research in this area).
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, »
It really depends on what you want it to do.  If all you are looking for is timed fog blasts, then no, the remote can do that by itself.  If all you want is to be able to trigger it manually then again no, the remote can do that as well.  If you have a show where you want fog at specific times and don't want to be stuck out in the yard every night, then DMX control comes in handy.  The great thing is that the remote still works so if you want an additional fog blast, you're good to go. 

Unlike the cheapo's you see in the stores around Halloween, these units are fire at will.  Once they warm up, they are ready when you are while the ones you see at wallyworld kinda cycle on and off.  This makes them good for simple intermittent blasts but pretty much useless in a show where you may want to control the timing an amount of fog.  These foggers also have a high output so unlike the cheapo's you don't want them just dumping fog unless you intend to buy your juice in 55 gallon drums.   ;D

As for rain, it is a good idea to keep it protected from the weather, pretty much like we do with our hubs and power supplies.  I am going to be hiding mine along with an ice chiller inside of a monument that I will be building for my cemetery scene.  The fog holds up in rain depending on the type of juice used.  Heavy ground fog holds up better than light mist but I would probably shut it down of the rain is heavy since I doubt that anyone will be standing in the rain to watch the show and why waste the juice.  This model goes for around $300. 

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, »
Thanks...where do I sign up for Canadian shipping. Time to get that halloween display going. With the figuring out this year on the virtual santa and projection in the window....I have some really great ideas for 2014 halloween show too. Mind you I won't get that skeleton band I want to do, but I should be able to build something to finally make use of the servo coop i went in last year :)
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tindivall

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, »
appreciate the response... I forgot the Zues doesn't have dmx out.... so yeah would have to come off the hub...   however I thought it would be a simple run cat5 from dmx out off hub to a dmx controller of some type... will have to do more research concerning the 2 wire (vs 3 or 5 pin)....

Ryan as far as shipping to canada... I know Best Buy carries them (don't know about future shop)... and there is amazon.

Offline meman

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, »
I use the 1300. It's rock solid.

Mike E

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, »
Good to know about best buy. My wife just made a trip to NF last week. Next time she goes I'll have her pick one up for me. Or I'll ask the Canadian retailers if they carry them. Maybe I'll just contact the manufacturer and see who the international dealers are.  Thanks! I'm kinda torn now on the dmx option as I see the value in automatically dumping fog out at the beginning of certain songs. Will just need to make sure my display has four or five songs so that I'm not burning through liquid all night. Now for these chillers...I thought a fog machine just needed liquid and that's all she wrote. Clearly I need to do some research here.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tindivall

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, »
Best Buy doesn't carry them in store... but can order online....  I haven't checked but maybe get it shipped to store and then pick it up there??

As for the chiller.... Fog tends to hang low to the ground the colder it is....  so you "chill" it.... here is a youtube video on it

and here is the fog juice I am looking at:

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, »
A fog machine does not NEED a chiller and will create fog all on its own.  It's wat you want the fog to do that determins what juice to use and if a chiller is needed.  The cooler it is, the more dense it is and in many cases, the longer it lasts.  Cold fog also hugs the ground better and is a little more resistant to wind blow off.  The trick is to experiment with it and see what works best for you.  Even though I intend to set mine up with a chiller, I only plan on using it on halloween itself.  The res of the time, I plan on using the fogger without it uless the reslts are so poor as to alter my plans.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, »
Ok thanks for some of the theory behind the chiller. Given late October is hit and miss with weather (normally mid 40s) I will assume for my purpose no chiller needed. Back to the tear down outside where a chiller is definitely NOT needed today !!

<grin>
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline meman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, »
Looks like the 1800 runs around $299 USD. For that money, I would be tempted to get the Geyser RGB Jr for the same price. It doesn't push the same volume of smoke 16000 cfm vs 25000 cfm, but it shoots it any angle WITH ANY COLOR.

Imagine the effect for a Halloween show. Put this thing in a well with some skeletons dancing around it and it would look like hell is erupting.
I guess you could get a similar effect with a cheap fogger and an Aether too though..... 

Mike E.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, »
The Geyser appears to support DMX - 8 channels (RGB, strobe, dimmer, fog). Looking at the user manual there are two things I see as potential problems with this fogger....indoor use only and the price as I  found the Canadian reseller and their price list.... almost $700

...I found the 1800 flex locally. Might just go get it next week. The price is $360.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tindivall

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, »
attached an image of wiring... curious if that sounds right... and then I guess just cut the other wires and tape them off?