Author Topic: how to install vixen on win 7 64 bit  (Read 3351 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
how to install vixen on win 7 64 bit
« on: December 25, 2010, »
OK i have read all the post  and how to,s  and have tried everything suggested , I have put the zip file in programs folder and then unzipped ( you must give administator permission , I am the administrator ) i have put vixen in th x86 program folder same results, I have Threatened computer no advail it just laughs at me  :-\ I have tried the vixen installer no luck, Does anyone have a 1 click fix or at least a A,B,C fix for a computer Idiot. I have .net4 on computer it came withit it says I need .net 3 well 4 is higher then 3 so I assume i am good in this aspect
Jeff

Offline tng5737

Re: how to install vixen on win 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, »
I have Vixen running on win7 64 Home Premium (w. NET4)   All I did was unzip into a folder.   However I did not put it on my C: drive - just created a Vixen folderon another drive and unzipped into that.   Seems to running fine.   
Are you getting an error msg when you open the pgm or does it just NOT function properly?   

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, »
All I did was to copy my Vixen Folder from an XP box to my Win7 x64 box.  Box Vixens are in C:\Vixen.  I never did any tweaking or changes.  Using vixen 2.1.  I also copy sequences between computers over the in-house network or via thumb drive with no problems.  If you have vixen 2.1 running on another machine just copy the whole folder and put it in the same place on the new machine.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
All I did was to copy my Vixen Folder from an XP box to my Win7 x64 box.  Box Vixens are in C:\Vixen.  I never did any tweaking or changes.  Using vixen 2.1.  I also copy sequences between computers over the in-house network or via thumb drive with no problems.  If you have vixen 2.1 running on another machine just copy the whole folder and put it in the same place on the new machine.
what folder do I put it in , programs or programs ( x 86 ) , I have 2 folders on the  C Drive , and do I copy the zipped file or the opened file from my home computer it is windows xp home edition
Jeff

Offline memphislights

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, »
It doesn't matter what folder you put it in.  Just unpack the vixen zip file anywhere and it should work ok.  You just have to look in the folder that you just unpacked and run the vixen.exe or CREATE A SHORTCUT not just copy the executable for it.

Just make sure that you download an install the FTDI USB drivers.  It looks like the 32 and 64 bit drivers are both included in the zip file.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, »
have .net4 on computer it came withit it says I need .net 3 well 4 is higher then 3 so I assume i am good in this aspect

You are not good in that respect.  Each .net is itsown thing and has its own functions and capabilities. It was done this way to prevent changes to  and added functions from trashing older applicatons based on the older ways.  The app is looking for the .net 3 libraries and doesn't know or care about .net 4.  You need to install and update .net 3 for Vixen to run.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, »
what folder do I put it in , programs or programs ( x 86 ) , I have 2 folders on the  C Drive , and do I copy the zipped file or the opened file from my home computer it is windows xp home edition

The first line, with my typing errors, says that both are in C:\vixen  forgot about having them in program files that is not important they can be anywhere. 

I agree that the .net apps are separate and distinct.  Better get .net3 downloaded and installed.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, »
I got it guys ended up going to program files and downloaded to a thumb drive and installed it in program file in new computer all is good the only thing is it removed my profile from the sequences I ended up re attaching profile back to them. I did not have to download any .net it worked with the .net4. THANK YOU ALL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS
Jeff