Author Topic: most popular displays  (Read 3597 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: most popular displays
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What ( in your opinion ) is the most popular displays in a christmas lights show? The Mega tree, the minis, the marty fans, the arches ect.... I am just interested in your opinion..  <pop..

Just a suggestion but you might change your thread title to "most popular display elements"  I almost did n't look at it since I'm not interested in reading about who thinks they have the most poplar display.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, »
My wifes is the dog house since that's where I'm gonna end up if I don't stop talking christmas talk.. Anyone have a collar?

maybe you can make a pvc one?  with smart strings on.....
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, »
A pvc dog house? I prefer the couch. At least I don't have far to go to get to the fridge..this post is so far from its origin that I think its more like a place to vent without really getting put in the dog house..lol.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, »
no, i meant the collar   lol

Offline tbone321

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, »
My opinion is if your display still looks like a Christmas display, and not the "Apple or Sony store", then the music does not have to be Christmas music. As much as I think the new RGB equipment is really neat, it does not look at all "Christmas" in some displays.

Again, this is my personal opinion but I have to disagree with that.  To me, a true Christmas light show really needs to both look and sound like Christmas otherwise it really is just a light show at Christmas.  
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, »
I can understand and respect that viewpoint.

To me, its your show and you can decide what you want it to be, so I choose to do a mix.

In fact, in 2008 I start doing almost exclusively rock songs.  Then I added Christmas songs ... and then
everyone complained that I didn't do enough rock.  My Dad (75) asked for classic Christmas songs, so I did a couple,
then he told me his favorite was wizards in winter.  On my website poll, Dueling banjos wins every year, and its
not a Christmas song.

Before I started doing this, we saw a guy who just did one song ... welcome to the jungle (by guns and roses) ... and
well, he did a lot of palm trees and other jungle themed items ... and it was very cool, but not even 1% christmas, besides
being in lights.

In 2010, I added six of these (6 channel) pvc spinners (pinwheels) ... which gave fun motion to the display ...  basically programming them like arches.

Here is a song from which isn't Christmas-y, but was fun to sequence to.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, »
My opinion is if your display still looks like a Christmas display, and not the "Apple or Sony store", then the music does not have to be Christmas music. As much as I think the new RGB equipment is really neat, it does not look at all "Christmas" in some displays.

Again, this is my personal opinion but I have to disagree with that.  To me, a true Christmas light show really needs to both look and sound like Christmas otherwise it really is just a light show at Christmas.  

This is very true! it is opinions but everyone likes different things and that is what makes it interesting. If we all seqence the same songs the same way it gets old fast.

While the sugar song is not christmas for me either I still thought it was great! We have a user here in florida that does island themes with palm trees ect. It is great also as it is different.

If he has people showing up at his house at christmas time to watch, and they enjoy it, then it is a christmas show and a success to me. But again opinion. Does not mean I will use it in my show.

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, »
i can see how people might get bored too...  how many TSO songs were on youtube? it seemed like as soon as one person did a really cool thing, then all of a sudden, everyone else flocked to the same song. I, myself am tired of hearing it

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, »
I can understand and respect that viewpoint.

To me, its your show and you can decide what you want it to be, so I choose to do a mix.

In fact, in 2008 I start doing almost exclusively rock songs.  Then I added Christmas songs ... and then
everyone complained that I didn't do enough rock.  My Dad (75) asked for classic Christmas songs, so I did a couple,
then he told me his favorite was wizards in winter.  On my website poll, Dueling banjos wins every year, and its
not a Christmas song.

Before I started doing this, we saw a guy who just did one song ... welcome to the jungle (by guns and roses) ... and
well, he did a lot of palm trees and other jungle themed items ... and it was very cool, but not even 1% christmas, besides
being in lights.

In 2010, I added six of these (6 channel) pvc spinners (pinwheels) ... which gave fun motion to the display ...  basically programming them like arches.

Here is a song from which isn't Christmas-y, but was fun to sequence to.

Great job, beautiful display! 8)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, »
I'm personally a fan of what the Aethers can do:

Awesome! I think that is the best video of Aethers in action I have seen. I take it they were worth the wait?

RJ

Thanks for the words of praise, RJ. They were definitely worth the wait, taking a week or so off work and cramming the assembly of the things (along with setting up all my other lights and cabling for my first year's show) towards the end of November with just days to spare before my neighborhood unveiling on December 1.

To be honest, I'm surprised that there hasn't been another Aether co-op since the first one because they add so much to the show with not too much programming effort and minimal addition to the number of channels to program. However, I'm lucky to have a neutral colored house (beige and white), and am able to segment the house into pieces and place/mount the lights easily.

Moral of the story:
Aethers Rock!!!