Author Topic: Guy Wires  (Read 5119 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Re: Guy Wires
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What works best in Florida sand? No, my yard isn't l literally sand, but dig down a bit...

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
Also, what are you using for you guy wire anchors?
Here is what I am using in case your interested:
These will be inserted in the ground at the same angle as the guy wire. These anchors hold because of what dirt above them that holds them.

Here is an interesting article on guy anchors:

I think you would be OK to use what I am using as a fellow Floridian.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, »
These stakes are pretty effective and have holes in them for looping wire or cable through.  Can find at home depot or lowes in concrete section, usually near the rebar.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, »
The load transferred to the guy is more since ratings are based at a 90 degree angle, you basically cut the load limit in half when it is at a 40 degree angle. Add in that wind gusts apply dynamic force to the guy and you can cut that rating in half again.
I will have to look to find it, but I had a chart that told you how much of a wind gust a certain size guy could handle at a certain angle.

I found the Spread sheet I was referencing above and I attached for anyone who is interested.

It shows a guesstimate of what size Guy wire you should use based on the information you enter.

Hope someone finds it useful.

Brian
-Brian
-------------

2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Offline inzeos

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, »
Neat spreadsheet Brian!

Calculated mine out at 1460 lbf breaking strength for 50 Mph winds.

I don't see anything in the calculator to take into consideration where on the pole your guy wire is attached or the number of guy wires being used.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, »
Obviously you guys are the mega tree pros...   <res.

Can I ask a slightly off topic question? 

What do you guys consider the maximum safe height of a mega tree with no guys wires?  Planning 2 "mega's" for next year's show and I don't have room and don't want to fool with guys wires.  I am thinking only 10' or so.  I am not opposed to dig a post hole down like 2/3 feet with some pvc so I can insert a fence post but not sure if this is enough.  Any thoughts?
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, »
It probably depends on the kind of winds you typically get.

My personal thought is much like yours ... 10' might work without, but 6-7' is probably a safer bet.

It might be that with a t-post (like a tall tree stake) you might be able to just shore-up a 10' tree and give it
pretty good stability on a budget.

You might also consider taking the skirt ( I used a 1/2" electrical conduit sch40 hoop ) and running it to the ground and then staking it out very well ... then attaching your lights down to it and that would provide some strength as the lights would themselves also be guys of of a sort.

Other options are the JUMP, which is probably well worth looking into, because its a rather small footprint and doesn't
require much in terms of guys, but does have a concrete base you build DIY style and the plans are free.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, »
What do you guys consider the maximum safe height of a mega tree with no guys wires?  Planning 2 "mega's" for next year's show and I don't have room and don't want to fool with guys wires.  I am thinking only 10' or so.

Did you catch the link posted further down POST#14 it is what I use and totally free standing
Jeff

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, »
Neat spreadsheet Brian!

Calculated mine out at 1460 lbf breaking strength for 50 Mph winds.

I don't see anything in the calculator to take into consideration where on the pole your guy wire is attached or the number of guy wires being used.

I believe by looking at the spread sheet it figures your guy attachment to the top of the pole.
I can't remember where I got it but I believe it came from Planet Christmas.
I used it as a rough estimate to figure what size guy to go with and it was better than me just guessing.

Did you catch the link posted further down POST#14 it is what I use and totally free standing
>> Post 14 >> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I agree with Lineman, the flaloop is a nice stable design if you want to build one freestanding.
I built a 2 stage JUMP for future expansion  >:D
-Brian
-------------

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, »
When I try to open any of these attachments, they save as php documents with nothing in them ??

Offline inzeos

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, »
When I try to open any of these attachments, they save as php documents with nothing in them ??

Rename it to the filename that he posted on the forums w/ .XLS as the extension.

Then it will open up fine as long as the final downloaded size is correct.

Leif

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, »

You must be using Firefox 8, change the name of the attachment index.php to whatever the name of the thing you download is named.

See my post here:

P.S. Leif beat me to it.
-Brian
-------------