Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 3965 times)

Offline grumpy2076

Halloween
« on: January 17, 2012, »
I thought i would a a post about halloween, what are you guys planing this year, ive already made 5 tombstones (all out of play wood), a pumpkin arch, and planing on the singing faces. a lot more to come up with still >.d9 ill post pics this weekend.
Hey, it's like that old goat says: Rule 11: It's all just a game, so let loose and have fun with it! I mean, a casualty or two along the way is no big deal, right?

Offline DanHouston

Re: Halloween
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, »
This would be my first Halloween show....I'm thinking of some singing faces, a few static items I have, and possibly working in a fogger. I'd like to do a pumpkin arch, but may hold off for that for next year to try and pick up the faux pumpkins when they go on clearance.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, »
I already do an extensive Halloween display and am adding the Christmas light show this year.  I'll be adding more animatronics including 2 more large pneumatic props.
Here's a link to my Halloween video from this year - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, »
This year I am planing on having about 450 RGB nodes around the windows and doors and along the roof line on the house (I'm going to have that in my Christmas show too). And then I'm going to have 3 Mega poles, 8 rainbow floods, something like the Monster quartet (but I'm going to make my own designs for the faces), 7 pumpkins, a skull, a couple spider webs and some strobes. I guess you could say that I'm going to have quite a few channels this year, and you'd be right :D
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

sjb

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, »
Halloween will be my first attempt at animated lights. We already do a lot of props on Halloween so it will be a good test to see if we will be up for a show for christmas.

Offline thestig

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, »
I am in the process of finishing up my singing faces, I will be running aether II's and Smart strings. My house will have the same sort of look as crackers house, but of course no where near as good.

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, »
Halloween was the first try and music to light blink blink for me this year - used some old skulls with rgb mods in to star in the show on the front of the house. Plus had several tombstones in the yard made from foam with pvc glue to back and metal rods to hold in the ground. hope to expand next year...

Offline Warrant

• Ho! Ho! How does that work again?
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, »
Going to use the RGB lights to flood up my toxic waste and laboratory area.  Other than various small props, I plan on building...

The Candy Wall of Death

An 8'x8' wall of general icky-ness they will stand in front.  ToT's will have to stick their arm inside one of the holes to retrieve their candy.  In Saw The Movie fashion, I'l have various traps waiting for them.  It will either be actor controlled (easier) or sensor-activated (harder).

Something like this:

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, »
you are going to need a few shills to come by and make it seem more real. :) 
having a kid crying that he lost a finger is sure to bring over gawkers.

LOL
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Whip

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, »
I do a huge halloween setup with a ton of lights but it has always been static. This will be my first to music. 2 large faces (I know everyone is doing it but my 3 year old loves em) 15 full size tombstones outlined with rope lighting. 2 1'x1'x8ft tall towers on the ends of 30 ft of fence that are covered with lights and strobes. As long as I get all the LE's built by August!!  :P

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I do a huge halloween setup with a ton of lights but it has always been static. This will be my first to music. 2 large faces (I know everyone is doing it but my 3 year old loves em) 15 full size tombstones outlined with rope lighting. 2 1'x1'x8ft tall towers on the ends of 30 ft of fence that are covered with lights and strobes. As long as I get all the LE's built by August!!  :P

Sounds like you have some work to do!! I wish I had enough time and money to sport a display like you are describing with lots of awesome decorations. I really want to add some kind of creepy fence, but I don't have the extra money and I don't have the supplies to build one that will last or look that good. But at least the light show will look good.
Oh, and by the way, once you build one LE, the rest will be a breeze :)
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, »
You can make a pretty nice fence out of 1/2 inch pvc and 1x2's.  I've used mine for 2 years so far and it's should last several more years.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can make a pretty nice fence out of 1/2 inch pvc and 1x2's.  I've used mine for 2 years so far and it's should last several more years.

Do you have photos? Because what I want to do is have a fence that looks torn down and really weathered and I want to add lights to the top of it and then I'd put spider webs over it and make it look good. This is what I have envisioned my "creepy" fence for Halloween too look like anyway.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, »
I have photos on my home machine but I'm out of town until the weekend.  Have you looked on Craigslist for old fences being given away?  I've seen several in my area that could be redone a bit and would look like what you want.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, »
I too use the 1/2" PVC with 1x2's.  Works real well.  Have (5) 8' sections and have used them for the past several years.  I made templates for the spacing for the taller sections and shorter for the tops and the bottom was even all across.

Each year my Wife and I have changed our display and that gets more and more difficult!  This year and for the next few years we are working the pirate theme.  I built cannons that fired and looked alot like a real cannon!  Used compressed air and a damper to keep the smoke within the tube until needed.  My pneumatics were screen door closers converted to actuators.  Had a three axis skull as my pirate giving his speech. 

This year I'm adding more movement with a band and dualing cannons using components from here!  Each pirate will be yelling at the other and pulling the cord firing the cannon.  On the other side a splash in the water will spray out to the folks walking through!

Probably more than you wanted to know but ....
- Mark