Author Topic: Having Fun at The Academy  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Having Fun at The Academy
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, »
RJ, great classes today!!   

You showed great passion throughout each of the classes I saw from you today -- Adv Smart Strings, Adv Soldering, and a double-dose of EtD/Conductor. 

I'm looking forward taking what I heard today -- building on what I learned last year, and and making it bigger, better -- (and water-tight  ???)  over the coming months.

Thanks to your classes and your thorough answers in the past year.  You obviously think BIG, but those ideas go much beyond channel counts.  Thanks!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, »
The classes have been great.

My impression of the hot topics have been Conductor (of course), ETD (I have seen more LOR non-DIYers asking about that than any other thing), Nutcracker, and soldering (mainly for folks thinking about the switch away from manufactured products and jump into DIY).

Next year, it would be great to make sure RJ has more help.  The suggestion of having some folks to help with selling kits, others to help with various additional stuff (like packing and unpacking the truck) is a good one.  RJ maybe we can preplan that more for next year.  I am certain there will be plenty of folks that would love to pitch in -- myself included. 

The Academy has been very impressive this year.  Something I plan on going to next year.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline gsxrgirl7

Having Fun at The Academy
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great to hear , i bet its a buzz just being there .

I can imagine the info overload , wish i could have gone !

What is the turn out like so far ?

I think ryan said 220+.

I had near a full room on my nutcracker talk. Nice group of folks. I went to matt browns talk on xlights and david moores talk on coro. went to madrix talk in evening (new effects coming for the nutcracker after that).

lots of blink flashy ..

one room has a man in an electic chair for their halloween display.

i want to hit the solder labs tomorrow. I leave sunday morning (i want some of fathers day back home).
Tomorrow looks pretty full.

thanks
sean

Thanks Sean for all you did and are planning to do with the Nutcracker, I know that all that attended your class including myself are really excited to use what you have created in our displays!  What you have done is absolutely amazing!
Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, »
And thank you RJ for all you do for the holiday people out there!  I know everyone keeps you so busy, and your time is very precious!  Your time is very much appreciated by many!  Yes, If we can do anything to help out, just let us know!  We would absolutely love to see you at the future LSH events!  Thanks again for all you do!

Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, »
Guess, I have to lay down the law next year with my wife, if she'll let me. Yea I am wipped.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline keitha43

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, »
I already registered for next year.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, »
Everyone needs to know that registration for next year is already open and over 40 folks have registered already.  I believe most of the vendors also indicated that they will be back.

The new tool everyone should watch for starting Aug 1 is the LEDKeeper.  Designed by Dennis Cherry who is now a resident of Tennessee.  It was great to meet and talk with him and see the LEDKeeper in action.  I managed to get one of the ones they had on hand.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline teager23336

• Chincoteague Virginia
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, »
Just left the academy, what a blast >.d9 I have learned so much and also have more to learn. I just wish all the DIYLAers could have been here to enjoy this like I did.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, »
Is there a link already for next year?  Place been picked, etc?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, »
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline royce

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, »

Just got home from the academy. Had a great time, the brain is definitely over loaded. I took my wife she had a great time it's going relive lot of pressure on me. I'D LIKE TO THANK ALL THE INSTRUCTOR FOR THEIR TIME AND PATIENCE GREAT JOB.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, »
I think so, last I heard they were over 50 registered and paid already!

thats almost 1/4 of the people and its a year away. Btw my family has not yet so it is about go up a few more.

I think the people liked the event!

Btw I had to go help in the soldering lab before the flood off ended. What was the final outcome?

It looked like the aether was doing very well. I did see the $500 high dollar commerical spot light was brighter but thats kind of a gun at a knife fight.

It was a lot of fun what ever the outcome.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, »

all info should be there.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, »
There were 2 commerial floods that had output that was so bright the light meter wouldn't register.  One was the expensive model you referenced, the other I believe was about $200 (don't quote me on that though ).  The expensive model basically had 3 spot lights in one housing.  The other commercial unit had like 200 LEDs and was a very concentrated spot.

For value the Aether was your best option although David's pixel based flood was also a good value.  You can get 3 of David's floods for the price of one Aether and each unit puts out about a third of the output of the Aether.

In the end I think the conclusion was it depends on what you are using the floods for that will determine what your best option would be.  Lots of options.

Ron

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, »
Good summary, Ron!

The 2 commercial units were pretty tightly focused and very bright.  The second unit was guessed to be around $180 on a discount rack at Cheap Lights.

Aether2 did very well.  I had the 40-degree lens on it, so it was more of a flood in that configuration than it was a spot light.  The other were more like spots IMO.  There wasn't much time to play around with various lens choices, so I never swapped around the other Aether2 lens to show the flexibility.

Aether2 came off very well in the comparisons!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro