Author Topic: Having Fun at The Academy  (Read 7386 times)

Offline combustionmark

Re: Having Fun at The Academy
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, »
I had a blast. Think I will register for next year when I get home.

I went to the haunt show n tell, but caught the last of the flood off. I was told the athers had the best responce. They should have measured how much brighter the room got when each light was on, and not just one spot on the wall. IMHO The ather looked best when you consider price and performance.

530 more miles to drive.
Have Fun!

Offline dgreen

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, »
Thanks to all for putting this on.
My daughter and I had a blast!
We learned a lot and now we have a ton of work to do.
This event really made a difference for us, there is so much information on the boards you can get lost.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to sit down and talk with us about different options as we move forward.
Great Event, and we signed up for next year!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, »
I also registered while at the Academy. It was that good!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, »
I thought about this also. Since each light has a different throw and most can not be changed like the aether, a more fair test to equalize them is not the same distance but instead marking an area on the wall and placing the lights where they cover that area. This would correct for spots vs flood and all in between. This really tells us more what we want to know. For a given area how bright is it going to be in comparison.

If not that then next time we know to put the 5 deg lens on the aether so it will max out the meter.

RJ

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
Having Fun at The Academy
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, »
I really enjoyed my time at the academy - so much so that I've registered for next year. Thanks to all the instructors, vendors, staff, and volunteers who made it a stellar event - along with a special shout out to RJ. So thankful to be a part of the DLA/DIY community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline keitha43

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I thought about this also. Since each light has a different throw and most can not be changed like the aether, a more fair test to equalize them is not the same distance but instead marking an area on the wall and placing the lights where they cover that area. This would correct for spots vs flood and all in between. This really tells us more what we want to know. For a given area how bright is it going to be in comparison.

If not that then next time we know to put the 5 deg lens on the aether so it will max out the meter.

RJ

RJ
Don't know if I would want to put my hand in that beam. An ant and a magnifying glass come to mind  :)

Offline kfxi

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, »
Had a great time at the academy,  YES I will be there next year, thanks RJ and all the instructors for their great information they presented.  I encourage everyone to definately attend next year and bring a friend. Also thanks to TREKSTER for selling me his ticket and encourageing me to go.

Ken Austin

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, »
There were 2 commerial floods that had output that was so bright the light meter wouldn't register.  One was the expensive model you referenced, the other I believe was about $200 (don't quote me on that though ).  The expensive model basically had 3 spot lights in one housing.  The other commercial unit had like 200 LEDs and was a very concentrated spot.

For value the Aether was your best option although David's pixel based flood was also a good value.  You can get 3 of David's floods for the price of one Aether and each unit puts out about a third of the output of the Aether.

In the end I think the conclusion was it depends on what you are using the floods for that will determine what your best option would be.  Lots of options.

Ron

Does someone have results from the light meter readings for each one?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, »
Finally home.

There was so much going on at the academy, It will take months to go over my notes, more like scribbles. I plan on going again next year. This was the most fun I have ever had learning sooooo much.

The instructors are outstanding, It really showed they knew what they are talking about. If you get a chance, watch any videos, or class notes, that get posted.
RJ's classes were real eye openers, He is thinking soooooooooooo far ahead of everyone else. I just can't imagine how much better things are going to get.

Much to catch up on.
Have Fun!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, »
I started to right them down but seeing the difference in the width of the beam made them useless. The only ones higher than the aether ii was the 250 and 500 commercial units but they had a spot beam pattern as opposed to the flood pattern. The couldn't get the rainbow flood to work. The mighty mini looked better than I expected. The rainbow extreme not as good as I expected. I would have loved to seen the aether with the spot lens on it as the beam can be changed with lenses and was extremely bright with it running on a flood mode.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, »
I started to right them down but seeing the difference in the width of the beam made them useless. The only ones higher than the aether ii was the 250 and 500 commercial units but they had a spot beam pattern as opposed to the flood pattern. The couldn't get the rainbow flood to work. The mighty mini looked better than I expected. The rainbow extreme not as good as I expected. I would have loved to seen the aether with the spot lens on it as the beam can be changed with lenses and was extremely bright with it running on a flood mode.

i was the one who wrote them done. this is from memory.

I dont know what the units were in from your light meter, lumens?

Aether 1, 40
Aether 2, 76
rainbow something, 35
LOR Mini 50
LOR big, 2 separte fixtures, sells for #280 includes two stainless steel led units plus the controller in its box.

with 1 on 56, with 2 on 102
David Moore's RED one   20
Someone had mounted a strip on 1x2 lumber that he uses to wash a large area. , value 9
there were two that werwe so bright , they maxed out the meter
The 150 or 300LED panel , i think they said these were $150
The massive, mount on a 2" pole, 3 separate rgb clusters steel box weiging 20lbs also maked out the meter. It was the brightest of them all. Each of the three clusters had dozens of leds. They sold for $400 each

Next time we should take pictures of what the patterns look like from each flood.

Brightest point is a valid measurement if you can see the pattern. Better, would be to capture measurements across a grid so you can see the fallof.
 almost all had an even pattern, some of those did have hotter spots in the center.

As david moore said, all of these units could be used in different places on your landscape.

it was interesting how many cables were on the table.

Also remember the inverse square law of light, 1' away 1/2 the light, 2 feet away 1/4th the light, 3 feet away 1/9th the light. We were about 10ft away so we were getting 1/100th the light that was being produced from the unit when it hit the wall.

here is link to some china led floods
I notice they do mention the total wattage of the leds they have been built with. i assume 36 1W leds are brighter than 18 1W leds.

thanks

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, »

RJ

RJ
Don't know if I would want to put my hand in that beam. An ant and a magnifying glass come to mind  :)
maybe entering the 5-degree aether2 into the Laser-off would make sense. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline keitha43

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, »
Another difference some had was they used only white leds like the aether and some used either just rgb mixed together or rgb plus white leds like the mighty mini.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, »
Measurements were in Lumens.
The Rainbow Flood and brain did not get included due to technical issues.
The Rainbow Extreme Flood and Blender WERE included in the display.

==========================
* Model/Brand: Lynx Aether
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: DMX 120vac
* Color(s) - Red, Green, Blue, White: RGB
* If you know how many LED's and what types, please note them: 6x high wattage RGB LEDs
* Viewing Angle(s): multiple lens options
* Kit/Assembled? Kit
* Purchase price (parts or assembled) and Source: no longer available, used available for $120
* Model/Brand: Lynx Aether II
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: DMX 12vac external
* Color(s) - Red, Green, Blue, White: RGBW
* If you know how many LED's and what types, please note them: 1x 28mm High Power LedEngin LED
* Power Rating: 40w
* Viewing Angle(s): 95 deg (Lens choices: 8, 15, 22, 32, 45 deg)
* Kit/Assembled? Kit
* Purchase price (parts or assembled) and Source: TBD (based on 250 coop size) <$65 + <$5/lens
* Model/Brand: Rainbow Flood [NOT TESTED]
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: 12v DMX Controlled
* If you know how many LED's and what types, please note them: ?? SuperFlux LEDs
* Model/Brand: Rainbow Flood Extreme
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: DMX 12v DC external
* Color(s) - Red, Green, Blue, plus strobe control: RGB (strobe freq and duration)
* If you know how many LED's and what types, please note them: 56x 3 chipped Superflux LEDs (20x Red, 18x Green, 18x Blue)
* Power Rating: 18w (100% draws 1.5 amps at 12VDC)
* Viewing Angle(s): no lens options
* Kit/Assembled? Kit or Assembled
* Purchase price (parts or assembled) and Source: $110 kit / $150 assembled
* Model/Brand: HolidayCoro El-Cheapo Flood
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: 12v built-in DMX
* If you know how many LED's and what types, please note them: 30 5050 RGB LEDs
* Model/Brand: LOR Cosmic Color Flood
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: LOR 120vac (supply included)
* Color(s) - Red, Green, Blue, White:
* Purchase price (parts or assembled) and Source: assembled... $200 for 1 head, controller and power supply / $300 for 2-head unit (Don Teague)
* Model/Brand: Mighty Mini Flood
* Protocol (DMX/LOR) or if it is straight 12v/24v/120v: 12v (LOR DC controller)
* Color(s) - Red, Green, Blue, White: RGB+W
* If you know how many LED's and what types, please note them: ?? 8MM LEDs
RON> I thought the Mighty Mini was 24v. I could be dreaming though.
DAVID> You are right. Now if I had run them in my display at 24v, I can only imagine how much brighter they would have been!
* Model/Brand: LED Vivid Wash 1
LED Color Range: RGB 16.7M Linear Color Control Light Source: Ultra Bright LED / Super Bright LED LED Qty.: Red 120, Green 120, Blue 120 Beam Angle: 45° Light Projecting Distance: 20m Data Interface: Standard DMX protocol (RS485 terminal) Control System: SRC-washer-100 / simple controller DMX Channels: 3 Channels Fixture Housing: Die Cast Powder Coated Aluminum Connecting Mode: Standard signal cord and power cord Connector: 3-Pin Control and Installation Type dependant Weight: 3.9Kg Dimensions: L320xW145xH225mm Aperture Glass: Tempered Glass

Electrical Specifications Operating Voltage: 90-264V AC/12V DC Operating Current: Max. 3A Power Consumption: 25watts

Environmental Specifications Operating Temperature: -20°C ~ +40°C IP Rating: IP65

Built in Pre-Programmed Effects Holder Color: Selectable HOLDER color. (16.7M variables) Strobing: Single color or transitional Cross Fade: Cross fade between colors Chasing: Color chasing Color Cycle: Cycling

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro