Author Topic: Computer Locks up On Initial start Up?  (Read 5620 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Computer Locks up On Initial start Up?
« on: November 03, 2012, »
Ok all of you computer gurus out there. I just reloaded my desktop PC (self built) and when it boots up the first time it will lock up within 5 mins. The only way to get it back is reset on box. After the reset it will run fine until I power off and restart again. Now I had this problem before, but I cannot remember what the fix was. I am pretty sure that there is a hardware/software conflict some where, but don't know how to pinpoint it. I have looked in device manager and there are no conflicts with any devices ther that I see. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint this?

Running Win7 64 bit, AMD quad core, 16g mem. 3 SSD hard drives and 1 standard drive.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: Computer Locks up On Initial start Up?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, »
Sounds hardware related.  Did you check Windows reliability center for any clues?  You may want to try checking memory first.  Pull all but the min amount of RAM (1 or 2 banks) needed and see if the problem still occurs.  If it still occurs, swap the memory one more time and test again.   

Offline injury

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, »
they wouldn't happen to be crucial m4 ssd's would they? one of the older firmwares for those drives would show that kind of behavior after a while. Sold three PC's with those to one client and after about a month of use within a day of each other they started doing almost exactly like you describe. Firmware update resolved it.

Other than that motherboard BIOS update, uninstalling virus scanners as a test, some programs like zone alarm are notorius for random oddball behavior, going through msconfig and turning off non Microsoft stuff in Services and Start Up would be the standard testing procedures.

See if it happens in Safe Mode if so you are almost certain to be looking at flaky hardware, or something more nasty than usual like a root kit.

I would say it could be a heat issue, but that would behave just the opposite. Boot first time it runs til it hangs, then shorter each time until it has been off long enough to cool down.

Edit: and since you said it was a reload make sure to go to the motherboard manufactuers page and install their drivers. Microsoft built in a lot of generic drivers to Win 7 but they don't seem to max performance like the manufactuers do.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, by injury »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, »
Thanks for the help guys.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sounds hardware related.  Did you check Windows reliability center for any clues?     

Yes and the only errors are that the system was not shut down properly ie me pushing the reset button. I have not remove memory yet because I am trying the firmware update that "injury" advised.

they wouldn't happen to be crucial m4 ssd's would they? one of the older firmwares for those drives would show that kind of behavior after a while. Sold three PC's with those to one client and after about a month of use within a day of each other they started doing almost exactly like you describe. Firmware update resolved it.

Other than that motherboard BIOS update, uninstalling virus scanners as a test, some programs like zone alarm are notorius for random oddball behavior, going through msconfig and turning off non Microsoft stuff in Services and Start Up would be the standard testing procedures.

See if it happens in Safe Mode if so you are almost certain to be looking at flaky hardware, or something more nasty than usual like a root kit.

I would say it could be a heat issue, but that would behave just the opposite. Boot first time it runs til it hangs, then shorter each time until it has been off long enough to cool down.

Edit: and since you said it was a reload make sure to go to the motherboard manufactuers page and install their drivers. Microsoft built in a lot of generic drivers to Win 7 but they don't seem to max performance like the manufactuers do.

As a matter of fact the "New" hard drive is a Crucial M4. I have updated the firmware an will post my findings. I am up and running for today..... putting up lights and testing so it may be tomorrow before I have an answer.

Thanks again for the help!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, »
This is still kicking my BUT! Any other suggestions?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, »
I know they are SSD but have you check/scan for corrupted memory locations?

maybe the windows install had a problem. Did you try to do a reinstall?

{Just grasping for straws}

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, »
Assuming no software problems, this screams of a RAM or Hard drive issue.

I would do two things.  First, pull out some of the RAM if you can and try running it with less RAM.  If it happens again, replace the RAM with the ones you pulled out.

If you cannot remove the RAM, for whatever reason, run MemTest86.  This will test if you have errors on your RAM.    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A side note about RAM, if you find it is bad, I've yet to find any that doesn't have a lifetime warranty on it.  They usually want a MemTest86 or some other RAM testing completed on it to prove it is bad before they will take it back.

Also, check your hard drive to make sure it doesn't have problems.  80% of the time with the error you are describing, it is RAM or the hard drive.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, »
You can check your hard drive in your BIOS or with a program from the manufacturer of your hard drive.  Sometimes it is called a SMART test.

Also, try restoring your computer to an older date that you know worked.  If it does it again, you don't have as good of a case for a software issue.

I'd be VERY surprised if this is not a RAM issue.  Try taking the RAM out and putting it back in.  Make sure the contacts are clean.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, »
You can check your hard drive in your BIOS or with a program from the manufacturer of your hard drive.  Sometimes it is called a SMART test.

Also, try restoring your computer to an older date that you know worked.  If it does it again, you don't have as good of a case for a software issue.

I'd be VERY surprised if this is not a RAM issue.  Try taking the RAM out and putting it back in.  Make sure the contacts are clean.

Thanks for reply. It is a new load. I have taken all memory out and swapped the last one with all 4. Still there. Like I said I wish that I had taken a note before, because I had this exact issue when I built 2 years ago, I just can't for my life remember what the issue was or even how I found it. Everything on PC is latest update, even bios. I have removed all cards except video and still does it!  <md..

sjb

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, »
What anti-virus software are you using?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, »
did you have to enable AHCI before?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, »
did you have to enable AHCI before?

When I was loading if I enabled it it would "Blue Screen" every time so I ended up leaving it off. I loaded OS without it enabled.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, »

Was using Kaspersky, but have not reinstalled yet.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, »
did you run any memory or "hd" tests like gator mention?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

sjb

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, »

Was using Kaspersky, but have not reinstalled yet.

I read awhile ago about Kaspersky causing issues. Here is a link to the removal tool in case there is still some of its files on the drive.