Author Topic: Computer Locks up On Initial start Up?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Computer Locks up On Initial start Up?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK so another stupid question. Should I just start from scratch again to do a clean install for this?

do a clean install, and follow the directions in the manual at the location i posted above...  if you setup your ssd as ide compatible, it affects things for down the road.  best go with the method the manufacturer goes with. a repair won't fix this.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline injury

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, »
OK so another stupid question. Should I just start from scratch again to do a clean install for this?

do a clean install, and follow the directions in the manual at the location i posted above...  if you setup your ssd as ide compatible, it affects things for down the road.  best go with the method the manufacturer goes with. a repair won't fix this.

read my last post, that is all you need to do to enable ahci you do not need to do a clean install.

You do not need the floppy driver to install from scratch with AHCI enabled either. That is normally only needed if you are installing a RAID controller and Windows default driver cannot see it to install. If windows sees the target to install you can just update the drivers later.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, »
Thanks for all of the help guys! At this time I am too busy working on sequences and other Christmas light stuff to do a full reload, so I will probably just live with the frustration until I have the time to start from scratch again. I also have to admit that I do not think that is my problem even though it does need to be done.

Injury, I am not comfortable enough with the registry to mess with it either.

Offline injury

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, »
That microsoft link I posted had a "fix it for me" app that does it for you

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, »
That microsoft link I posted had a "fix it for me" app that does it for you

I'll give it a try.. What do I have to lose?  ;)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, »

What do I have to lose?  ;)
famous last words...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, »
Hey Conductor is running so at least I will have 2 songs to play for the year!  ;)  <fp.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, »
Well AHCI is enabled and I am up and running without any colorful screen. I will not know if it has solved anything for a while, but I will let you know!

Thanks for everyones help I REALLY do appreciate it!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, »
Still does it! Came back from putting some lights up and had to push reset to get to start up!  :(

sjb

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, »
There wouldn't happen to be anything under your power options that is setting it into hibernate state?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, »
There wouldn't happen to be anything under your power options that is setting it into hibernate state?

No this happens within the first 5 min of initial start up (cold). After reboot will run fine until I power off and let it cool down and fresh Start up.

Offline injury

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, »
What happens if before the lockup you reboot, still 5 mins or still good?

When you say lockup what exactly do you mean. Blue Screen of Death, Computer really frozen (mouse pointer doesn't move), or your mouse moves but appears nonresponsive to clicking?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, »
What happens if before the lockup you reboot, still 5 mins or still good?

When you say lockup what exactly do you mean. Blue Screen of Death, Computer really frozen (mouse pointer doesn't move), or your mouse moves but appears nonresponsive to clicking?

1. I think that it is ok after 1st reboot, but I will have to test that again
2. Freeze screen. No mouse or keyboard. ctrl alt del does nothing. Have to push reset button on tower.

Offline injury

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, »
The monkey wrench is you said on a previous load it happened but then you found a fix. So I'm assuming by your wording your previous fix was some software driver related setting.

The symptoms by themselves are very much like hardware going south, there have been several product lines that have this symptom from the get go so faulty hardware design can be the case. The only way I can reconcile the two in my mind is the previous "fix" disabled a feature on the failing/buggy hardware so it wasn't an issue anymore. Check through the windows event log for any obvious hardware errors that might be a preview, though don't be completely surprised if you don't see anything as on a hard lockup Windows sometimes doesn't get the chance to write an event.

Try to cold boot into safe mode at some point (F8 after BIOS screen but before Windows logo and select safe mode) and see if it locks up in safe mode. If it doesn't then we'd lean towards the setting turning off some advanced feature was the previous fix. If it does then you've got a basic hardware issue.

As time and spare parts permit I'd do a process of elimination on the hardware side of things. Get every thing down to the bare minimum needed to boot windows and work from there. That's Power Supply, Processor, RAM, Video, Keyboard/Mouse and only the system drive then check there. If that freezes then one at a time swap parts in and out, if it doesn't look towards either one of the parts you unplugged being bad or the Power Supply not able to handle the full load from cold. If you have a spare power supply I'd start there in either scenario, if not go with the memory. On your memory you want to go one stick at a time through each slot. So stick 1, slot 0, then move it to slot 1 etc til all slot/stick combinations are tested. You might find one of your sticks is bad or one of your slots is bad or both or some flaky combination where slot 0 really hates stick 2 etc. Work through your hardware this way as best you can to see if you can find the culprit. You can also disable on board hardware one at a time in the BIOS as tests to those.

If on the Safe Mode test things don't lock up and you just want to find the fix you had before. I'd turn every sleep, hibernate, and power save setting to off. Go into things like your video card settings and make sure no overclock features are enabled and start one at a time disabling any advanced features. I'd also disable/uninstall any "helpful" tuning/monitoring apps.

Assuming you did this but a fast way to see if it's related to your specific hardware being a buggy design is to google the model numbers and cold boot freeze etc. You might find some specific answers like some of the first G skil triple buffer ram, certain Asus boards etc that have had these issues in the past.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, »
Thanks Injury. At this point I am starting from scratch. I formatted hard drive last night and started the reload. Starting with the minimums and working my way up until hopefully I can pinpoint what causes the issue.

Thanks to all for their help! I may be back soon asking again.