Author Topic: Topic Locked?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Topic Locked?
« on: February 28, 2013, »
Why was my topic locked?  Thought we could talk about anything legal in "The Porch"?

Myk

Offline keitha43

Re: Topic Locked?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, »
RJ posted in there for you to talk to him.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, »
asking me to talk to him and locking the thread are 2 different things....

Myk

Offline vstar

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, »
hey myk will you still be able to run a show using dmx also

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, »
going a different direction - since I got shutdown and cant even talk about it here.....

Myk

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, »
unreal.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, »
Ok I think this one was locked by a mod because they thought it was going to go south.

I just replied to your pm so you have not read it yet but since the post will serve to make me look bad, this means it has to be cleared up in public.

Here is the issue.

DLA has always allowed one device to be put out here of each type since day one. Notice I did not say one person to put it out, just one device per type and purpose of the device. This has been of little issue as people wanting to develop for the purpose of promoting it at DLA has always asked me about it.

In the last maybe 4 months I have had 3 members ask about doing a controller like what has been posted (not exactly of course). If you look I posted the day before yesterday to announce the one I have been working on. then this one gets post about a few hours later.

The others who asked were explained that it was already covered and no one had any issues. Then this one comes out of no where. so whats fair, To allow the last one we knew about to be the "one". The first one that was in the works? How about the people who asked already and were told I had one coming out? What about cost? if one is say 40% the cost of the other should we use the more expensive one? Or whoever comes up with the cheaper one? Or maybe the most advanced one? Seems like a lot of wasted time and money for those that got edged out?

This is a new issue, It has not happened before. Everyone has always asked about releaseing new stuff at DLA. They were not askig if they could design stuff. they were asking if they could be DLA's controller for that type of device. With almost no exception they have been told sure. I have even tried to help when needed. Some need no help from me more likely the other way around.

The one thing that is not on the table is to having lots of the same type of stuff. It is one of the basic priciples of DLA to try and keep it simple.

In the end it is not about me. I feel if it was as simple as I just write off my time and money then it would be easier. The problem is How is it fair to the others that asked? Why will anyone continue to do the right way if you win by not doing so. If it needs to a fixed printed rule maybe that needs to happen.

Guess it is just another of the issues you have with growth. The things that worked fine before can quit working.

Feel free to comment. But please keep it within the rules of DLA on respecting everyone. It is not my attempt to make anyone the "Bad Guy" I know I will be the one with that title no matter what happens on this. I am just trying to show the difficult postion I am in and how it occured. This is why I locked the thread, before we had this long thread on some great controller that there were logistics issues.

RJ

P.s. I am not asking to pull anyone in on it but if any one of the people that already wanted to do a similar control feels like posting it would help make it clearer that this is the way it has worked in the past.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, »
I am one of the other people RJ is talking about.  I too looked into such a design after the idea was bandied about here on DLA.  I suggested it to RJ and volunteered to design it.  He said that he already had a similar idea in the works, so that was fine.  No need for me to re-invent that wheel; there are many more wheels to design.

For my other projects (the tester, servo controller, and pixelnet splitter), I checked with RJ before turning them into real projects, and he was fine with them.  He even helped with the tester by creating a modified version of the wireless firmware.   

It's real simple - DLA is RJ's "house", so we go by his rules.  I am glad that he lets me play along...

/mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, »
Thanks for that mike, It helps when people can see how it has always happened in the past. And even though you really never really cooped it, thanks for the DMX grid.. I use it at least a couple of days a week. Just used it looking at Lonewolfs Conductor sync issues.

Am I nuts or was there not another post on here before I went to bed last night? I thought I read a well written long post on this thead and then it is gone as I looked this morning after getting some sleep. I check the mod logs and if it was deleted the member that wrote it would of had to have done it? But I don't remember who it was to ask?  I guess I was up to late last night.

RJ

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, »
Does not matter anymore, my designer/programmer/partner has pulled everything under the threat of being banned.  So 6+ months of time/money/effort have been washed away.

As you have stated its your board, your rules and the members loss..

Good Day!
Myk

- Am locking this myself as there is no need for furrthur discussion.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, »
Who threaten to Ban anyone?
And since I was not aware it was not you doing the designing,  how would I have known to threaten someone else? 

The word ban or a hint of it was not in either PM we exchanged or in any post, no one has threaten anyone. I am sorry you are upset but lets not make it sound like there is evil deeds being done in the shawdows what I posted in public is a summary of what has been said via pm is it not?

RJ