Author Topic: Idea: Video Assembly Instructions  (Read 4079 times)

Offline NOLAlights

Idea: Video Assembly Instructions
« on: March 12, 2008, »
I have been kicking around the idea of doing a sort of video assembly guide for each of the products here at DIYLA. In fact, it is one of the reasons I bought a Lynx.

The idea is to make 8-10 min videos with an overview of how to do it.  With tips and tricks I learned along the way...  Kinda Norm Abram does blinky flashy. (but without the $100,000 workshop)

So the questions are:

Do you think it would help you?

What do you think about the length? 

Do you have anything you'd like to see in the videos?

I think it would be helpful in two ways. First, it would help people actually do the assembly. But also it would help people who don't have the item learn more about it and (very importantly) help newbies decide if this is something they can tackle or not.

Give me answers as well as any additional thoughts.  I don't want to do it if nobody cares, but if there is a demand, I'll start with either the Lynx or the dongle, whichever gets here first.

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
Re: Idea: Video Assembly Instructions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, »
At the rate i assembly things it would be a three day video :)

I think the idea is good for the reasons you have listed, especially the newbie bit.

Length will depend upon complexity of the item, A freestyle may be longer than the lynx and the dongle will be shorter.

Video should start at the unpacking of parts and show each of the main points, like, 'we now place the resistors' show the first one then cut to the next component after showing the resistors mounted. etc etc all the way to the end product ready to connect up.

Definity tips, tricks and traps.

cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline scharbon

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, »
I think its a good idea.  Maybe instead of a single video per controller, why not a few short ones for each portion of the controllers?  Like video one would be unpacking, video two would be the soldering of the capacitors, sockets, ..., video three would be adding the power supply, and so on.  Actually, the videos should be broken into the same sections the instructions are.  Overall it would be a great thing to do I think.

Steve

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, »
I think that would be great! and instead of posting them on youtube or something we can post them on our site.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, »

Sounds great to me.

I would stress (for newbies and Me :)) to have a proper place to work on the boards and some equipment needed. I know in the Lynx manual RJ makes a point to take breaks and that is also very good advice. (even though it seems he is NOT allow to take breaks designing goodies for us).

Sample Equipment: Soldering tools, solder :), Magnifying Glass - better yet one that is free standing and has a light, etc

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tuppet

• Tuppet's Lights
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, »
this sounds like a great idea.
Personally, I'm a little lost about the connection process for a lynx (how to terminate/connect the lights and deliver power etc. , not how to install the components) - I'm working on the theory that it will be a little more intuitive once I have a unit in my hand and can see how it's set up, but it would be nice to have some resources about that kind of thing - the sort of thing not covered in a construction manual, but necessary to know.

Also, for more visual people (like me) it might be nice to have seen an actual lynx connected to an actual DMX dongle, if only to get a general idea of what it is 'supposed' to look like (so that when it doesn't look 'right' , I know I tinkered where I shouldn't have!;))
16000 lights and 240 channels in 2010

Offline NOLAlights

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, »
Many good ideas here... One thing I see is I probably underestimated the length people wanted... I figured 8 minutes was about all anyone wanted to watch... but maybe I'll let the more complex things run longer...

And tuppet has a good idea, once I get the dongle and the Lynx built I can make a quick configuration video.

Thanks for the ideas guy.

Offline tommy

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, »
Hey NOLAlights...

I think a video is a GREAT idea.  Dave (xmus) over at DIYC did a bunch of them on using Vixen and posted them on youtube.  For me, those videos will be a valueable resource, especially since I'm new to sequencing with Vixen.  And since your video's would be centered on contruction and implementation, it would be a nice companion piece to the Xmus video's on DIYC.

Since I don't have (and can't get) a high speed connection where I live, it was painfully slow for me to download all of the xmus' Vixen video tutorial. 

So with that in mind, may I suggest that you also make the video available on DVD.  That way, those of us who don't have access to a broadband internet connection can view them without the frustrating wait to download each video. 

With a DVD, you could put everything on one disc with chapters for each device or section (IE: controller, ssr's, dongle, setup, making cables, etc.).  It would be easy to go right to the part you are interested in.  And with the Movie Maker software that's a part of Windows XP & Vista, adding titles and graphics would be a cinch.

For me, I'd prefer the DVD route not only for the speed, but for the video & audio quality.  DVD is much higher quality than anything on YouTube.  I would gladly pay a few extra dollars so that I would have a copy of the video to keep in my personal library.  That way I could watch it whenever I wanted without being on-line.  It would be worth it to me.

Also, by going the DVD route, pictures and video's of last year's displays from some of our members could also be included so that the newbies among us can see the end results. 

Just my 2-cents worth...

Tommy

PS...  If you need some help, let me know.   I'm the chief photographer at our local TV station and know lighting, shooting, sound, and editing video.   
I don't understand.... I cut the wire off TWICE and it's still too short.

Offline sfour

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, »
I'd like to see the Lynx assembled by Jessica Simpson in a bathing suit ! :)

Really great Idea...  Real world example...  I built my first Lynx, reading the manual, checking and rechecking.
Running to Radio Shack to get new iron tips. Took me most of a Saturday.  By the time I built my 4th Lynx, I was using the manual to clean my solder iron tip, and I was using the blue paintes tape to hold as many parts as I could in place.
My solders were all silver shiney - unlike for first board that looks a little scorched here and there, with black bubbles that somewhat resemble solder.....  But  all the sockets tone out, just waiting for RJ to dangle that dongle.

NOLAlights - would have loved to have all those videos as a resource even before I chose the product I did.
I take it you have video editing software?

Steve

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, »
Thats what I love to see.. People working out a great idea! Thats what DLA is for. Rock on!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline NOLAlights

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, »
Tommy, the DVD is no big deal... Maybe 10 minutes of work on my end.  Considering the (assumed) demand, I'll just mail them out on my dime.

I was going to turn the camera down to 640x480 or somewhere up in there but I can shoot it in HDTV if you want it for the TV station. You could run it at night instead of infomercials.  ;D ;D  Actually instead of a regular mpeg2 DVD I'd just send you the original files so you can copy them to a hard  drive. (I shoot 720p H.264)
---

Steve, I was going to shoot this from a tripod, but since you're so close, do you want to build it and I will shoot it? I have a Lynx in this coop. (the one that won't end :D) We can build it... BTW Blue painter's tape rocks and I'll make you one of my patented hands free, zero cost, ESD protected, PCB holders for your next assembly. (I'll video that this week if I get a chance)
---

As for the hosting RJ, I was going to open a Vimeo account. (best quality) and just embed them in the Wiki or something. You don't want to pay for that bandwidth.  You can host them if you want.. but why? lol
---

Lastly, I want some input on one more thing... After much consideration I've decided (so far) that rather than narrate the videos, I was going to use captions.  It is a bit more work but there are several reasons for this. --

* The biggest one reason is that this is (by far) an international board.  Many people who can read and write English don't do as well with the spoken word.  I also know from past experience that many people who struggle with even the written language lurk on many of the electronics boards.    The plan was to write captions in clear concise English to make it accessible as possible to as many people as possible. 

* Then there is accuracy. I might have a slip of the tongue and say something backwards.  (AC when I mean DC) It's harder to do that in captions.

* I watched a series of training videos that was captioned and I could watch them at night with the volume down and not have to worry about waking anyone or wearing headphones. They just had music in the background which I turned low. I disliked it at first, but ending up being sold on it after I watched a few videos.

I am serious when I say I am open to input on the narration vs captions but I admit,  for the reasons listed, (and some not listed) It would  take a lot of demand or a very sound argument to flip me. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, by NOLAlights »

Offline sfour

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, »
I can build while you shoot.  I agree with the caption as well.  If I made the videos, they would never get released on the point that I can't stand the sound of my recorded voice.  A simple pause of the dvd player leaves the caption on screen for the viewer to see during parts of the build.  Otherwise, it's put down the iron and rewind.

Anyway, might learn a thing or two from you in the process.

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, »
Did this project ever get done.  As a newbe, I am lost.  the videos would be great.

Offline REM

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, »
See if you can follow along with this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

;D

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, »
Nice

Bill