Author Topic: Opinion of the IP68 rgb nodes?  (Read 4925 times)

Offline keitha43

Opinion of the IP68 rgb nodes?
« on: December 24, 2011, »
Unlike the versions of nodes I got at the beginning of the year and also this summer, the current version of the node now known as the IP68 has survived 2 or 3 rainstorms without any problems with causing sections of the string to light up when it is not supposed to or flicker or be the wrong color. Now I only have 1- 128 node strand of this model and 7 of the older ones. I am curious if anybody has had any issues with rain and the IP68 version which I think didn't come out until October. By the way my IP68 string was not soaked in plasti-dip and all my older ones were. With my older strings I have issues with at least 10 nodes per rainstorm(out of 1008). The 1st rainstorm took out way more than that. Based on what I see the IP68 seems to be pretty waterproof but I want to confirm that with other peoples results. Next year I am moving my hub into my garage as one morning I noticed condensation sitting on top of the board. I must have been lucky that it has apparently evaporated by the time my timer applied power to my board in the evenings.

Offline sean815

Re: Opinion of the IP68 rgb nodes?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, »
I had bought 2200 pixels of the new version, received in Nov.  Since i got them late I only installed some on the ground with ground stakes as a test. 2 strands of 100.  Im in Florida and we've had some pretty good rain and they still work without problems. In fact, Im not even running a show, Im running a test animation from LSP sequencer. Ive left this sequence running 24/7 for few weeks now and they still haven't gone out. So far so Good

Offline ra7h35m20s

• My backyard guard gator... named her Sandy
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, »
I am really thinking of putting some RGB's  in my display next year ... however the price makes it almost unobtainable. Does anyone know of another place to order RGB nodes instead of having to pay overseas shipping rates? I have noticed that using the AliExpress website the shipping is as much as or more than the cost of the product....
Kenny (from Tampa)

Offline rm357

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, »
When you do all of the math, they are not that much more expensive than other LEDs.

Consider this:
To make a small multi-color LED tree you would need:

4 strings of LEDS (red, blue, green, and white) + a DMX SSR4 or 1/4 of a Lynx Express to control them
-vs-
a single strand of SS pixels, an SSC, and 1/16th of a hub

In addition, the SS tree can be any color plus do other interesting color effects.

To make a huge display, OK that is cost prohibitive, but you can add a little each year...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, »
I was pricing some LED strings from a commercial vendor and they priced out at .40 per bulb.  RGB pixels are .57 per bulb and give you much more flexibility and they work great.  Shipping is expensive wherever you get stuff.  Just a more when getting them from China.  Think more about what you want to do and less about the cost of shipping.  I was put off by it at first, but now the only thought I have is to order enough the first time so I don't have to order again.  For me the cost of shipping was peanuts based on what I can do with them and what I have done with them.  Now I just need to learn how to use them better.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, »
I't wouldn't hurt to send Ray a request for a quote. When you order multiple products the shipping estimate is often wrong.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, »
I sent RJ a PM about this very issue (expensive shipping) and doing a COOP on it.  My impression was that I should wait before ordering anything because there are some things going on behind the scene.  What that is, I don't know.

I am going to make a large order of these and would like to get reduce the shipping costs.  I've looked at getting a shipping container which would make the shipping long, but the costs are pretty cheap.

Either way, I'm waiting for a bit to see what shakes out.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, »
i believe there were issues with purchasing them as a coop, that's why the individual links were made available for us to order directly at first
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, »
Instead of a coop, maybe a bunch of us could get together to do bulk buys.

I'm in Austin, and I could host such an arrangement for a good portion of Texas.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, »
A bulk buy and a coop is the same thing.

There will not be any coops for the lights with very good reason.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, »
kinda weird to save $$ on Coop hardware buys, just to turn around and spend it all on shipping the lights - kinda defeats the purpose....

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A bulk buy and a coop is the same thing.

There will not be any coops for the lights with very good reason.
I thought a coop might be more 'kitting' and pcb related... a certain value-add when the cases, PCBs and shipping are factored into the plans.

I understand from your response that you don't want DLA to be associated with bulk buys on lights.

I'd be interested in the "lessons learned" for those who might consider this sort of thing outside of the DLA space.  I'm sure no one would want to learn painfully what has already been discovered.

Thanks!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Re: Opinion of the IP68 rgb nodes?
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, »
kinda weird to save $$ on Coop hardware buys, just to turn around and spend it all on shipping the lights - kinda defeats the purpose....

Then I recommend LOR.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rm357

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, »
The bulk buy from china does not save you anything. RJ negotiated with Ray on the pricing already. What you would save on shipping from china to the US, you would more than loose on shipping within the US.

Another issue is the potential to run into import issues. I forget what the threshold is, but if the coop manager places a $100,000 order, it is going to draw attention... It is also going to look like the coop manager is running a business to the IRS. $100k ain't hobby dollars...

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: Re: Opinion of the IP68 rgb nodes?
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, »
While I realise this is YOUR board, and YOUR hardware - but that is why I left several of the others because of the My way or the highway attitude.  Didn't expect that here....  maybe I expect too much in my own mind and should just quit the hobby all together.

Myk

Then I recommend LOR.

RJ