Author Topic: Smart String Nodes that failed...  (Read 2610 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Smart String Nodes that failed...
« on: December 28, 2011, »
How have your nodes failed?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Smart String Nodes that failed...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, »
you forgot "White"

lol

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, »
can you edit it so anyone can make changes to the list?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, »
Another symptom was a wet node could cause other nodes to turn white or weird colors farther down the line even if there was nothing wrong with those nodes.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, »
The "second batch" (new style - new weatherproofing) of Ray's nodes started flipping out last night, we had a nice thick fog permeate the air.

The "first round" of Ray's nodes have been dropping like flies.  Some stick on a color, some run at 1/2 brightness, some fail altogether - and all were double dipped in Plasti-Dip.   <sigh>

We've not had a single issue with the SSC's or the hubs -OR- anything else of RJ's.   If Ray could build to 1/10th of RJ's quality I'd be a reasonably happy fellow.  :)

I should add, we're not using PC power supplies but the 12V 40A units Ray sells and no unit is running over 12 amps.

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, »
i meant for the poll to be after everything was up outside.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, »
i meant for the poll to be after everything was up outside.

The fog was OUTSIDE.  We don't usually have fog inside unless I'm cooking...   :)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, »
i meant for everyone, once they weeded out the problem nodes, then hung them up outside,
i wanted to see what happened to the nodes once in the elements, and how bad of an issue it was (until dried, or fubar)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, »
It would be interesting to separate this poll out from IP67 vs IP68.
Turns out that I had a mixture, when I originally thought that I had all IP68.

My results cannot (at this time) be attributed to IP68.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, »
I misunderstood the intent of your survey.  I agree with Steve, separating out the IP67 verses IP68.   I’m not happy with the IP67 nodes at all, of 1300-some nodes nearly 300 have passed on.   

Of the 512 IP68 nodes, nine have failed and after sitting “full on white” all day in bright sunshine and currently 52 degrees, they’ve not “repaired themselves.”

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, »
When I had my strings up I had one string that was on all the time with mostly white but there were other colors mixed in. I had about 4 strings where the top half stayed on with random colors. After I took them down and put them in the basement and connected them back to the hub with a random sequence on Vixen and 3/4 of the strings were fine but some were stuck at some point or another. If I squeezed the node just after the last working node of a string I could get the string working again fully but often after a few minutes it would stop again.  When I inspected some of those nodes in question I noticed the normally clear casing had a brown tint to it.  I am working on a new way to use them on the mega tree that will allow me better waterproof my pixel nodes.
Jeff Squires

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, »
the poll is somewhat skewed, because there is no option for folks who had no problems whatsoever.  I understand your trying to gauge what kind of failures, etc.   All of my nodes problems were DOA variety.  Since they have been outside, no problems at all.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline keitha43

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, »
the poll is somewhat skewed, because there is no option for folks who had no problems whatsoever.  I understand your trying to gauge what kind of failures, etc.   All of my nodes problems were DOA variety.  Since they have been outside, no problems at all.
You must have been lucky enough to get the ip68 version. My lone strand of ip68 hasn't had any issues with rain and wasn't dipped in plasti-dip. Of my older nodes I replaced around 70 out of 1008 after the first rain. And approximately 8-10 every other rainstorm. I always wait 24 hours after rain before trying to run the nodes.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, »
I haven't dipped or otherwise waterproofed any of my nodes ... but I did installed them into a fairly weatherproof enclosure and caulked it.  It also can drain out the bottom of my skirted enclosure as needed.  But that said, it doesn't rain in Colorado in December and would be a fairly rare weather event here.  I have had a LOT of snow, but its a dry air snow and never had any of the moisture or humidity related issues that most people encounter.    The material I mounted the nodes into is the material you buy from Home Depot for doing shower wall wraps with.  Its like a thin plastic leather material.  My node are mounted into enclosures through holes drilled into that material and and then caulked around the edges.  Its not 100% watertight, but probably plenty water tight for snow.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, »
The material I mounted the nodes into is the material you buy from Home Depot for doing shower wall wraps with.  Its like a thin plastic leather material.  My node are mounted into enclosures through holes drilled into that material and and then caulked around the edges.  Its not 100% watertight, but probably plenty water tight for snow.
What you describe almost seems like "indoor use".   ;)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro