Author Topic: Ways to control pixelnet without the common sequence software  (Read 1669 times)

Offline lightingboy82

I am using a regular DMX controller (Martin Maxxyz) to run my shows.  I would like to add SS next year, but i am unsure how i can get the data to pixelnet.  My controller outputs DMX and ArtNet protocols, (and hopefully E1.31 soon) Is there anyway for me to use either the pixelnet dongle or EtherDongle currently?

I know this kind of defeats the whole goodness of pixelnet, but can a different firmware be loaded into either the SSC or the USB dongle, that would drive the RGB pixels from DMX, understanding the universe limitation of 512 channels?  For my setup, a huge channel count isn't a problem, nor is a high universe count, (i can output up to 32 universes of DMX, via Artnet nodes)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
ray sells a tester that runs on DMX, though it's not sealed very well.  i have one, but it was just for testing.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
why not run everything in parallel?  Vixen and LSP can talk to multiple dongles in the same show.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lightingboy82

i don't want to use vixen, LSP, LOR or any other software, as i have my own theater lighting controller already.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am using a regular DMX controller (Martin Maxxyz) to run my shows.  I would like to add SS next year, but i am unsure how i can get the data to pixelnet.  My controller outputs DMX and ArtNet protocols, (and hopefully E1.31 soon) Is there anyway for me to use either the pixelnet dongle or EtherDongle currently?

I know this kind of defeats the whole goodness of pixelnet, but can a different firmware be loaded into either the SSC or the USB dongle, that would drive the RGB pixels from DMX, understanding the universe limitation of 512 channels?  For my setup, a huge channel count isn't a problem, nor is a high universe count, (i can output up to 32 universes of DMX, via Artnet nodes)

You should be able to run E1.31 out from your Martin Maxxyz to -> Etherdongle -> SSC Hub -> PixelNet Controler

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I don't think it'll work cause you can't get to a smart string hub with straight DMX.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
It should work if the controller will output E1.31.  The Etherdongle will accept the E1.31 signal from LSP, xLights or any other controller and then output to PixelNet.  The Etherdongle is what is converting from DMX universes to PixelNet and distributing to one of 4 hubs.

Offline rm357

It will work, you just need to use the pixel net firmware in the ether dongle.

One pixel net universe is addressed as 8 consecutive e1.31 DMX universes through the Ethernet.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I stand corrected.  Thats an interesting controller your using.  Definitely not your typical setup.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline lightingboy82

who wants typical!? I am a light board programmer/ tech in real life, so i have my own console to assist with that, since i am used to programming on that, i wanted to continue to use it.  It's overkill for this no doubt, but it makes me feel better about my investment :) Now i just have to bug Martin to get the E1.31 software update out, as of now, they support Artnet, but are planning to support E1.31 soon.

Offline tpctech

who wants typical!? I am a light board programmer/ tech in real life, so i have my own console to assist with that, since i am used to programming on that, i wanted to continue to use it.  It's overkill for this no doubt, but it makes me feel better about my investment :) Now i just have to bug Martin to get the E1.31 software update out, as of now, they support Artnet, but are planning to support E1.31 soon.

Yea another Geek from the trade!  I to are from the business.  But I run my show with LOR only becuse I can't tie up my ETC gear for a month!!  I am hoping LOR will support E1.31 soon. I plan on adding pixelnet next year and plan on doing some of the effects with Madrix using LOR to control it via DMX.  I have plenty of sACN nodes to have fun with!!
Where are located?  I am in Niles, MI    KEN  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login