Author Topic: Smartstring coating question  (Read 741 times)

Offline lortiz

Smartstring coating question
« on: October 20, 2012, »
Hi,

I'll be soon buying some smart/dumb strings from Ray Wu store but have a question regarding the waterproof coating options available.

Can someone please advice on the silicon coating, silicon tubing and epoxy coating options ?

Let me know the differences, pros, cons or any other detail you can provide based on your experience with these different coating options on the flex strings.

Thanks for any feedback.

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline rm357

Smartstring coating question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, »
Smartstrings should be bought using the links on the wiki.

For the dumb ones, be sure to get ip68. Some of the ip66 ones I got last year did not survive in the rain...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Smartstring coating question
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, »
I did not apply any other coatings last year and have had no issues, but I do have all ip68 strings.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline LtKadeo

Re: Smartstring coating question
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, »
I am using some of the 1st gen smartstring (ip66?) Have tested them and all strings work - went with RJs plastic dip thinned down. The only thing that I did differant then RJ was to have the nodes tyrap to parcord - did not want to pull the wires from nodes when dipping - this resulted in using more dip but now have a node sealed between wires that doesn't pull apart.

75 nodes per string 16 strings - 2 tyraps per node plus ends approx 160 tyraps per string total 2560 wraps.  1gal uv clear plastic dip 1gal thinner - results was able to dip strings 3 times before running out of dip - the seals on the nodes look good. The only problem I had was the tack feel on the strings even after drying for 2 days - so I placed each string in a pail and sprinkled baby power on. This stop them from sticking together

Ted K