Author Topic: Building & buying display items  (Read 4930 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: Building & buying display items
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, »
I'm using my windows phone so maybe that has something to do with it. Your link took me to it.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, »
OK I finally was able to get a couple of decent videos that was not washed out.  I took the videos using Oakley sunglasses as a poor mans point and shoot camera filter.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Tom

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, »
Those look good.  Do you have any vids of the arches leaping?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, »
Speaking of arches, how many nodes is common for a 10' arch?
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, »
TB
Not yet just simple NC effects. Still building  elements too busy to sequence but time is running out.

SB
They are 6803 Flex strips similar to the LOR CCRs. 5m 150 LEDs 3 LEDS / pixel. I split the strips in half 2.5 meters 25 pixels. In other words 3 pixels are controlled by each RGB channel

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, »
They have a nice effect. I think the single LED strip or node would be too washed, there seems to be a slight bit of over lap or blending, but I like the neon tube look myself.   
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, »
My arches mount using rebar inserts that are welded on larger pipe that slides down over the top of 6' t-posts.  There is then a 3/8 through the pipe to allow them to be adjusted and then fastened to the t-post.  This allows me to adjust them to be LEVEL, since I'm spanning about 50' across and going across a swale that drops down and then back up ... and they are tall enough to walk under.  No support needed in the middle.  The arches themselves are just rgb flex strips zip ties under the bottoms of 1/2" EMT conduit.  Length is slightly longer than the length of the rgb flex strips.  The other benefit to putting arches up in the air is I can place them behind my tree line, but have them still ABOVE that tree line so they are visible without being obstructed.  Its not for everyone, but since my Dad is a good welder and likes to keep busy!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline drlucas

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, »
Two arches are done with the nodes installed.  I'll get a vimeo account setup and show how it looks....in action. I'm definitely going to build the third arch next weekend to complete the set.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline drlucas

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, »
Once this video uploads it will be here.... just a quick test of the arch. nothing special...but i like it - my first SSC blinky in a display item :)

-Ryan Lucas-

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, »
Try the xlights twinkle effect under test.  You will like it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, »
That looks really good but I would suggest that you use three or four nodes together when you leap the arches.  That would make it look a little more like a traditional arch leaping and would be much brighter.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, »
I was thinking about that too (to make it look thicker)....just wondering about the division of segments though. I think I might have forgot to count on my fingers as it looks like one arch has 39 and one arch has 40 nodes. I'll make the third arch and see how many nodes fit...must be the way started my measurements....if I end up with 39 again, then I'll maybe blank out one node and go with 3 per segment and see how that looks. I also need to see what things look like from a car across the street....is September too early to put up arches?
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, »
The thing is that depending on how you do it, the division can mean nothing.  Sure, you can use grouping which would make it a little easier and require less channels to sequence them but since you have the ability of individual node control, you can use that to your advantage.  You could do it by lighting node 1.  When node 1 gets t about 40%, start lighting node 2.  When node 2 gets to about 40%, start lighting node 3, Once node 3 gets to 40%, start lighting node 4.  At this point you will have 4 nodes lit with the first two at or near 100%.  Now, as you start lighting node 5, you can start dimming node 1 and at the same rate that you are lighting node 5.  As you then begin lighting node 6, start dimming node 2.  Following this pattern will give a nice smooth leap across the arch and it doesn't matter how many nodes are there, they will all be used.  Nutcracker may already be able to do this already and if not, I don't think that it would be difficult to add this simple sequence to it which would make leaping arches a simple thing to do.  The paramaters that I would use would be the rate of dimming, the percentage trigger before the next node begins,  and the time that a node remains at 100%.  This would allow for tuning that should make any arch look good when leaping.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, by tbone321 »

Offline drlucas

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, »
The more sequences I can reuse the better...so if Nutcracker can do this all ready for me..bring it on!!!! I've just pulled out my two pig tails and have more more string tubing, so will enjoy the afternoon off work (was jury duty day for me and never got selected - phew), get these connectors soldered on and then see what I can do in the sequencing department with vixen3 following the suggestion above from tbone321
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, »
OK....i have to admit i am learning the hard way here.

Took me 2 hours to literally solder on 2 pigtails between the three arches. Why it took so long was a comedy of errors. First was when I was trying to program the string my battery died in the laptop and I had to get the charger. Another challenge was figuring out why all three arch  lights flicker on when I connected the pig tails together to the ssc, but only the first two strings would go blinky when I hit the program button. Needless to say I think i realize that strings must have an input side. Either that or the one node at the end of the string is bad. Needless to say when I connected the other end everything is working. Many lessons learned, one of which is don't use the heat shrink tubing and solder the pigtails together until you do a quick test with the ends of cables just twisted together by hand first. That would of saved me at least 15 minutes of effort troubleshooting.

Alas...attached is the fruits of my labour. I am going to be VERY thankful I took the extra time to do this "right" when it comes to tear down time. Thank you for the guidance. Now this weekend I can get the third arch built and feed the strings...the rest of my spare time this week will be working on sequencing and finishing trying to figure out my bill of materials for the roof and window mounting...that and if i'm feeling energetic i'll work on the coro star that i've been thinking about building....

so many things to do...one day at a time.

Cheers!
-Ryan Lucas-