Author Topic: Building a new computer and I can't finish it.  (Read 1245 times)

Offline knguyen916

Was throwing a lot of money into building a new rig with a Intel 2600k cpu to only find out that intel is recalling all 1155 socket motherboards. So how can I test if there are any problems with any of my components??!@!?! BLAH!!!!!  >:(

Offline CaptKirk

Re: Building a new computer and I can't finish it.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, »
It sounds like you CAN finish it, and use it until the fixed Cougar Point chips are available then your board will be swapped.  The only issue is the SPEED of the SATA ports "degrades" over time rather than being a data corruption of some other data error situation.  From what I read, they will fix it!
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, »
It's already fixed. However, all the boards are not even available. Checked newegg, amazon, etc.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It sounds like you CAN finish it, and use it until the fixed Cougar Point chips are available then your board will be swapped.  The only issue is the SPEED of the SATA ports "degrades" over time rather than being a data corruption of some other data error situation.  From what I read, they will fix it!

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, »
I'm amazed at how angry people are actually getting over this issue.  I had a guy in the cube next to me threatening to sue when he called Intel customer service.  Toyota has a massive recalls they didn't want to do and only the news media blows it out of proportion..the general population doesn't care.   A couple of SATA ports "might" degrade over time and everyone is bringing out the pitchforks and wanting burn down the world.  Amazing...seriously amazing.

<md..
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, »
I'm not mad just disappointed that I can't get my board to test my cpu, and memory, etc. This is a major upgrade for me switching from AMD to Intel and so without a board how am I suppose to know if any of my other components actually work?

Memory comes with a $20 rebate, but if it's bad memory (once I test it on prime) i'll need to return it (i believe the return policy is 30days which means I might not be able to return it without testing. I could get any board but will have to deal with restocking fees) and more likely forfeit the rebate. Same goes for memory. Only thing I can really test is the psu and graphics card.

I'm amazed at how angry people are actually getting over this issue.  I had a guy in the cube next to me threatening to sue when he called Intel customer service.  Toyota has a massive recalls they didn't want to do and only the news media blows it out of proportion..the general population doesn't care.   A couple of SATA ports "might" degrade over time and everyone is bringing out the pitchforks and wanting burn down the world.  Amazing...seriously amazing.

<md..

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, »
I understand your frustration completely.  I used to build cutting edge systems, but don't anymore.

They call them bleeding edge for a reason ... its painful.

These days I just buy or build last years hotrod, after things get on more solid ground ... and even though
I'm never cutting edge, I spend less and have more predictable systems.

Anyways, good luck in resolving your system build!

Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, »
If your memory only has a 30 day warranty then you got some real junk.  While many do have a 30 day return policy, that should have little to do with the warranty.  In the places that I deal with, if the memory is bad and I have the receipt, they will exchange it at any time within the warranty period. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, »
Which should be lifetime for RAM...