Author Topic: Bucket Lift / Boom Lift  (Read 5904 times)

Offline stormym

Bucket Lift / Boom Lift
« on: January 25, 2012, »
I was wondering if anyone uses a bucket lift or anything similar to put lights up. I was thinking about renting one of these this year for the roof as I have a very steep slope. (Plus it may be fun to play with  >:D)
-Mike

2011 - First Show with 32 Channels

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: Bucket Lift / Boom Lift
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, »
I do, but if you are renting plan ahead.  It is about $150 for four hours.  I have a friend that owns a JLG and I am fortunate he charges me way less.  Kevin

Offline stormym

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, »
I was thinking about doing a day rental and getting a couple other people in my neighborhood to go in on it. What type of lift do you get?
-Mike

2011 - First Show with 32 Channels

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, »
I use all types of lifts at my job, from small 25 footers all the way up to 140 feet.  I work on everything from 30 Ton overhead cranes to relamping of my company's maintenance base in Ft. Worth (I would tell you the name but I'll give you a hint - We filed for bankruptcy after Thanksgiving ).  I'm going to stress something no one thinks about when renting a 'bucket/boom' lift - A SAFETY HARNESS - Believe me when I tell you it can save your life!!  I know because I was up in one and a hydraulic hose failed for the basket tilt.  If it were not for the harness I was wearing, I would not be typing this reply right now.

Most rental places (RSC, United, or even Home Depot) rent everything from a 'Towable' boom lifts - electric (battery powered/re-chargable) 25'-30' reach (can be maneuvered with 2 people) to the big ones I use (although the 135' JLG I use can run $1000/day - I hope I will never need one this size to put my lights up!!!!) .  You also might want to look into a self-propelled one (a bit more money - a delivery charge if you do not have access to a trailer that can haul it - but might be a bit more helpful if your by yourself).  Another thing to think about is the bigger you get with one, the heavier it will be.  So you might not want to rent one say after a rain (if you don't mind tire ruts in your yard).  if you happen to have a few neighbors that would go in for a joint venture, then a long weekend rental (pickup Friday / drop off Monday morning) might be what you need to look into.  It can save you many hours of up and down on a ladder!!

Just my 2 cents worth - and PLEASE - WEAR A HARNESS!!!

Bill A.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, »
and please stay away from power lines
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
and please stay away from power lines

Chris - Excellent Point and  - VERY IMPORTANT - Alot of people do not realize that the wires (if power is supplied from overhead head wires) carry 14.5K voltage (typical).....That's -----14,500 volts ----  And that the wires themselves are bare (.IE. no protective covering).  It would definitely be a bad day for someone to contact one of those!!!!  The transformers on the poles that people see are 'down - stepping' meaning that they take 14.5K and produce 220V to the house......

Enough said - BE CAREFUL!!! - around any type of overhead wires!!!

Bill A

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, »
Another thing to remember is if you get a smaller one from one of the home centers you will almost guaranteed have to use a frame mounted hitch instead of a bumper mount, even if it meets the specs.

Rich

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, »
I tried to rent one a few years back, and the place I tried only had scissor lifts and would only let you get it for use on paved surfaces. I haven't tried again.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, »
I tried to rent one a few years back, and the place I tried only had scissor lifts and would only let you get it for use on paved surfaces. I haven't tried again.

Scissor lifts can be used if you use plywood to drive/place them on.  It can be a real pain but possible.  You would get 3/4" plywood and place the sheets where you would set /drive the lift using a leep-frog set-up...takes at least 3 sheets to do.....Also, scissor lifts do not articulate (move outside of a X/Y axis...or extend...some extend the basket about 3 feet but you have to be close to the objective to do this...

just a few more cents------

Bill A.

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, »
My cheap method:

Couple of six packs of beer, invite some of my redneck friends over, and then let it slip that I wanted to put some lights "here" but it was way too dangerous.  Instant help, though my insurance company wouldn't like it. ;D

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, »
I have never rented a lift, but I have put an 8ft stepladder in the back of a pickup and used a 20ft pole to hang lights in a tree.  Way to scary now and the tree has grown a lot taller.  But I have talked to people who have rented them and will do it again, but talk a good hard look at where you can place the lift and how you are going to get it there and how far out you reach from where you put it because that may limit what you can do with it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, »
I have never rented a lift, but I have put an 8ft stepladder in the back of a pickup and used a 20ft pole to hang lights in a tree.  Way to scary now and the tree has grown a lot taller.

I have a tree in my yard that's only going to grow taller, so my solution was to light it up from the bottom using an an Aether with narrow-angle lenses.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, »
I have a tree in my yard that's only going to grow taller, so my solution was to light it up from the bottom using an an Aether with narrow-angle lenses.
next year, the aether will be on a little stand...   
year after that, it'll be on a taller stand...
then two aethers....
and going, and going    :P
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Bucket Lift / Boom Lift
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, »
My neighbor and other home in my display rented a hd lift this year and it was great.  I never thought of a harness.   In a bucket?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, »
That would work just fine if people stayed in the middle of the bucket and always had it properly positioned but that tends not to be the case.  You tend to get the "I think I can reach that" syndrome as people reach further and further outside of the bucket until .... oops.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving