Author Topic: Compat IC's  (Read 1652 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Compat IC's
« on: July 16, 2011, »
What ICs are compatible with the current pixelnet protocol - I see at least 2 different IC numbers on the links from the wiki page, am just curious as to looking for more string options out there.

Am only seeing tM1809 and 1804 so far, the indv pixel strings do not list a chip number....

Thanks for any info given
Myk

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Compat IC's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, »
Hi Myk

Everything that is compatible is in the wiki. Is there something different you are looking for or need?

Just because something is a 1804 or 1809 does not guarantee that its compatible

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, »
Well, Ray's site has some new strings, granted they are 4 wire versions (dmx controllers), but I was going to ask him if he had a 3 wire version, these are like small clear squares - maybe 1/2 x 1/2 square, led comes straight up, but wire goes straight thru side to side instead of the back.  This version looks easier to mount on roof line and keep a perfect straight line vs the ones coming out the back without pulling and stressing the wires.

While not major, was just seeing if more options/types where avail out there etc.

Was also looking for something that was pixelnet compat but like a single led color (for cost etc) that i was thinking of trying to find for a tree star, with LSP i can divided up the string into virt channels for multiple star outlines etc.  Again nothing major, just options.....

Offline Corey872

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, »
There may be some news on 'new nodes' coming soon.  It might possibly include some new form factor -though  just speculation, we'll have to wait and see.

Offline davron12

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, »
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but do the SSC only support tm1804 and tm1809 12vdc 3 wire pixels or are there other compatible IC's as long as we stick with 12v 3-wire? I thought I remember reading a thread somewhere that said the SSC would "soon support the tm1804", so did it only support the tm1809 before that? Is the ws2811 out of the question? I was trying to find a data sheet that described the data coming across to the tm1804 to see if it looked like it was compatible with some other chips, but couldn't find anything easy to read in english.

Ray does have some cool looking pixels in other forms that aren't available in tm1804 like the following

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, »
Tm1804, tm1809, and tm1812 are the only chips that work with ssc's.
Any other chip will not work as they expect data handled differently.

That said, the 1804, and the 1809 has 2 speed settings, so its possible to end up with strings that may not work. The 1812 only has the fast speed, so it is compatible. HOWEVER, depending on who made them, the color order might off so the smart string config untility might not compensate for the incorrect color order.

Yes, there is some stuff that is compatible with the ssc's that is not in the wiki. But they are not supported here. Buying beware. And there is some risk.

The 1803 is NOT compatible.
The 1804 is in the smart strings, plastic rectangles, metal squares
The 1809 is in the rigid /flex strips
The 1812 is "compatible" but there is some risk.
Any other chip is NOT compatible.

If it does NOT have an ic, and is 12v and common anode, then it is compatible with the dsc.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

Compat IC's
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, »
Dead horse - stick with wiki.
SSCs are 12v only. There are reasons that 12v was chosen and there is no easy way to drop that to 5v.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline davron12

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, »
I wasn't asking about different voltages. Obviously that wouldn't work. The confusion was on the way data was transmitted, and if that was compatible with other chips. I couldn't find anywhere were someone listed the chips that would work, the ones that might work given the right situation, and the chips that definitely wouldn't work.

I know some other controllers do support multiple chips (like the controllers Ray sells say they work with WS2811, TMxxx, like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) but I didn't know if you had to pick which one you were using when setting them up, or if the data signal was the same so that it would work for a range of chips.

Thank you chrisatpsu for clearing that up.