Author Topic: Tips and Tricks for removing PICs  (Read 1603 times)

Offline mitch09

Tips and Tricks for removing PICs
« on: October 19, 2011, »
I am getting ready to remove my PICs from my DMX dongles to flash them for pixel net   Any tips for removal without breaking or bending pins. My first attempt didn't turn out so well

Ryan

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Tips and Tricks for removing PICs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, »
Ryan,
I bought this. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The chip pullers really come in handy. Check your local Radio Shack. They may sell the pullers separately.

John
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by Rainlover »
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, »
I've been very successful in just sliding a small flat-blade screwdriver through the end... then slowly work the screwdriver in while slowly rotating the screwdriver back and forth to separate the PIC away from the socket.  do it slowly and try to reach the back before lifting the front away too soon.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, »
i have a solder tools kit that i bought from radio shack. one of the tools have a sharp point to get under the chip, and is slightly curved to help slowly pry up the chip.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been very successful in just sliding a small flat-blade screwdriver through the end... then slowly work the screwdriver in while slowly rotating the screwdriver back and forth to separate the PIC away from the socket.  do it slowly and try to reach the back before lifting the front away too soon.

Iwas gonna also suggest this method. However, although you can't always do it, I tend to try to twist just a little then do the same on the other end. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You want to be very careful so as not to bend any pins. Sometimes you  can get lucky and can bend the pins back ONCE. ***If the bend is extreme, trying to bend it back to straight will result in the pin breaking off. ***

Like I said though sometimes close components wont allow room enough to do this on one end or sometimes both. If one end is blocked then you have no choice other then to do it just like Steve suggests unless you invest in a chip puller. However, sometimes close components dont allow a chip puller either.
Leon

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, »
I have been in the electronics business for over 30 years and have tried many removal tools.  My favorite method is the one described above by Steve Gase.  I have better control over the removal process. 

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, »
I bought a puller similar to this, can't remember where but it works great.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, »
My favorite tool is a set of ESD-safe tweezers, nice and thin to slide under a pic to get it up.
I bought a curved set to get in the tight areas. They are cheap here:
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give a go tonight.

Offline aich75013

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, »
I bought a couple of these, but haven't needed to use them, so I'm not sure how well they work.  They look the same as mentioned above though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by aich75013 »
--Adrian

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, »
for the tight areas ive been able to pick up a set of dental tools. they work really well.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Dude_From_WA

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, »
I have used the IC Puller described early in this chain and it generally works great. There are times when you will need to try something else.

I have used both of the following from Harbor Freight.

The main consideration is to go SLOW.  If you are using the IC Puller, rock the tool gently to ensure that the IC is coming out straight and not fully engaged on one end while the other end has broken free. This will put a serious kink in one or more IC leg(s) and you may run the risk of breaking off the leg(s) when you try to straighten them out and/or when you attempt to insert the IC into another socket.  When using another tool, dental pick, screw driver, etc. slightly lift one end of the IC then move to the the other.  Continue alternating ends until the IC jumps out of the socket (hopefully with nearly straight legs).