Author Topic: Things need for SSC hook up?  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Things need for SSC hook up?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes that has been my problem finding computer/conductor that doesn't draw alot of power and is small. I find them but they what about 1000 dollars. I'm unable to spend that kind of money on that.

So I keep looking. If I had enough knewledge about computers I would build one. Here is a place I found. I'm looking in on it.

go used...  goodwill (in this area) has a used computer store and you can easily find affordable used notebooks.  as mentioned, you can get replacement SSD drives and together you'll end up with a system that should drive a sufficient number of lights without breaking the bank, and it will also be suited to hours of battery-based operation.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rm357

Things need for SSC hook up?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, »
If you use xlights as your scheduler you can get by with an old old laptop. I've been using a gateway arc200, which is about 10 years old at this point. It runs on the old intel centrino chipset. I would think you should be able to pick something like that up for under $100 dollars. If you could find a good battery for it and set it up to run with the lid closed and the display off, you could probably make 6 hours...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, »
The problem with older laptops is that they are not known to be either small or energy efficient. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

Things need for SSC hook up?
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, »
Yeah, conductor would be best bet, but at this point I'm starting to think the conductor may not make this year unless the coop starts soon and is really quick...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, »
Yeah, conductor would be best bet, but at this point I'm starting to think the conductor may not make this year unless the coop starts soon and is really quick...
offer $400 to a conductor beta tester and see if you get a taker on that deal. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, »

It's only July.  There is still time and from seeing it at the Academy, it doesn't look all hat hard to assemble.  If the coop stats toward the end of Aug, there should be plenty of time to get it ready for the holiday season.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving