Author Topic: Why don't we...  (Read 3065 times)

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
Re: Why don't we...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, »
The definition of half life is used to descibe an exponential decay over time.
If the waste had had a linear or constant rate of decay, the "half life" would equal 1/2 the time till the material became inert, as per rm357s response.

This was the explanation giving to me by our engineers.
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If it was profitable to build a nuclear plant utility companies would be building them like crazy. Same goes for wind farms or solar farms, there is not enough ROE for companies to commit to the expenditures needed to build them.  The only reason most of the wind farms have been built in this country is because they are subsidized by the government making it feasible to do so.   

A great point about subsidizing. However it is not just a return on investment, until these overrated "green" energy sources can generate energy at a cheaper cost which can legitimately compete economically they are a waste of taxpayer dollars to fund. Even though it is nice to say green energy and electric car, at this point they are too expensive for the consumer. An example can been seen in the forced development of the Chevrolet Volt.

MSRP before tax credit is $40,280.
MSRP after tax credit of $7,500 (tax payer dollars) is $32,780.

My nicely equipped Corolla cost about $21,000.

With that approximate $10,000 difference in price I can operate and maintain my Corolla for approximately 8-9 years.

The Volt will need its regular maintenance and a new battery pack in 4-6 years which will be pricey and you probably cant swap them out in the driveway at the house. Oh yeah...you also have to pay for electricity to charge the thing. $$$$

In today's economy it just does not make fiscal sense for a consumer to spend that much money on a car just to say it is green. They only thing I will say about the Volt is that using energy from the grid is more efficient than energy generated in a hybrid car or combustion engine.

Rich

Also, if I remember right, the primary storage concern (volume of waste) is for retired nuclear weapons and the waste generated in creating those weapons. Storage for commercial energy generation is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

Offline ptone

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In today's economy it just does not make fiscal sense for a consumer to spend that much money on a car just to say it is green. They only thing I will say about the Volt is that using energy from the grid is more efficient than energy generated in a hybrid car or combustion engine.

Rich

The big question is what do we do when the only choices are between expensive, and really expensive.

We have been living off the low hanging fruit - and it is almost gone.  Lots of fruit left, it is just more expensive. (and to those who think there is some endless supply of off-limit oil in places like ANWR - do some homework first).

Even at $4 a gallon - gasoline is dirt cheap for what you get out of it.  That is about 8x cheaper than a starbucks latte.  How far can you manually push your SUV on a 16oz latte?  Gasoline can push it maybe 3 miles on that (24mpg).  Can you choose to stop buying gas because it goes up to $5 a gallon - no, you would cut something else out.

Gas and oil still basically represent the equivalent of extremely cheap labor, and money is a proxy for work - think about that.

Life will just be a little different when it isn't as cheap.

-P
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, »

Even at $4 a gallon - gasoline is dirt cheap for what you get out of it.  That is about 8x cheaper than a starbucks latte.  How far can you manually push your SUV on a 16oz latte?  Gasoline can push it maybe 3 miles on that (24mpg).  Can you choose to stop buying gas because it goes up to $5 a gallon - no, you would cut something else out.
-P
[/quote]

The funny thing is people complain about the price of gas before they complain about the price of their latte and want the government to fix  the gas price so they can still afford the latte. <fp.

Oh well. I definitely agree, priorities. That is why I am investing in Christmas lights.  >.d9

Offline tbone321

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, »
People complain about the price of gas because gas is a necessity, Starbucks latte isn't.  If Starbucks gets to expensive, you can just give it up.  If gas gets to expensive, you have to give other things up.  As for being cheap, that is a relative term.  What is cheap to you may not be to others.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, »

The price of gas is not gonna matter. We the consumer will pay whatever the price is and that's just the way we do things.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.