Author Topic: wrapping live trees  (Read 1702 times)

Offline shaunkad

wrapping live trees
« on: November 15, 2012, »
I just wanted to say wrapping live trees suck. I do not think I will do it again unless I use sealed leds. I get one string up and 3 go out from moving them.

Offline deplanche

Re: wrapping live trees
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, »
+1 on that.  I did that several years ago.  It looked really good with 16 branches wrapped (4 different color light).  Putting on was not only annoying, but broken off several of the smaller branches trying to wrap the lights.  Taking down broke more and was even colder to do.  Could have waited for warmer weather, but in Buffalo, NY you never know when that is going to be, and waiting just makes the lights fade and corrode faster.

Now I use homemade "trees" instread, and the lights don't need to come off of them.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, »
i went the easy route...  i cut my trees down!!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, »
I have been wrapping my trees for years.  Its what I like the least about putting up my display.  All I have left to do this year is wrapping 5 trees in 3 colors.  I have been putting it off.  The longer I wait though, the colder it gets.   I cut 3 of my trees down and am using a fake tree this year.  I will add more fake trees next year if it the first tree works out well.  I spent $99 for a 10' fake tree.  Not sure how well it will do outside.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, »
I thought this post might have the magic tip to make it easier. <fp.
I am saving my two live trees for last as well....
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, »
i have an idea but it's too late for this year. i am going to work on it next year. my neighbor has access to 1/4'' rod up to 8' long. i am going to bend it and shape it to resemble a branch. i am then going to design some sort of collar to wrap around the main trunk of the tree to insert the rods which will be pre-wrapped with lights. sort of like an old school artificial tree where you slid the metal part of the branch into the hole on the tree pole. i started wrapping each branch in my bradford pear and last year just one color took me about 4-5 hours. this year i plan on 5 colors and i am not looking forward to wrapping the branches but i don't think i'll have time to implement my other idea. i'll be sure to post my progress on my pre-lit branch idea once i get started.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, »
i have an idea but it's too late for this year. i am going to work on it next year. my neighbor has access to 1/4'' rod up to 8' long. i am going to bend it and shape it to resemble a branch. i am then going to design some sort of collar to wrap around the main trunk of the tree to insert the rods which will be pre-wrapped with lights. sort of like an old school artificial tree where you slid the metal part of the branch into the hole on the tree pole. i started wrapping each branch in my bradford pear and last year just one color took me about 4-5 hours. this year i plan on 5 colors and i am not looking forward to wrapping the branches but i don't think i'll have time to implement my other idea. i'll be sure to post my progress on my pre-lit branch idea once i get started.

duane

Adding fake tree limbs to a real tree....I like it! Can't wait to see what you come up with as being able to wrap a trunk and then "hang" your already wrapped branches would be a huge time saver.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, »
I hung lights on one of my trees the first year I did blinky. The thing is, it keeps growing taller and taller each Christmas!

My solution: put an Aether at the base with the correct lens(es) to keep the beam narrow, point it straight up, and voila! Lit tree... any color I want! And it looks classy to boot, IMHO.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, »
I'd rather wrap live trees than work on my 2nd floor... 

What I've found over the years is less is more.  Learned some stuff from the city forestry guys who put a ton of lights up here.  Don't be overly critical about it. Hit it, git it.  On really large trees go trunk only unless you have access to a bucket truck.  Large trees taller than yourself use c7's instead of thousands of minis.  I like to use a pole and a ladder for these.  On coniferous trees (pine) just spin the lights from top to bottom.  On deciduous trees (oak, jap maple) I use multiple 50ct mini strands of minis starting at base and go up to a branch and out not really wrapping per se.  Cheesy pic attached.  I end up with 5 or 7 strands total. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, »
this is what i did this year

check it i wuse 8" bugee cords to make them stay on tree
used welded wire as the base and attached lights with tyraps
the wire is 6ft tall and the width needs to picked close to tree size around
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, by sabie »

Offline meman

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, »

I love it...nice job. I did some of this "weaving" last year using plastic fencing and it worked out well. Will do some more this year if time permits. I rolls up and stores easy too.

Mike E.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, »
I do LOVE the look of wrapped trees!! ... but gave it up last year ... it was taking almost a day per tree to wrap.  I do agree that you get diminishing returns, so overdoing it isn't real smart ... and doing it smart and fast can give good results.  If I had an orchard ladder it seems it would be easier.  I had converted to wrapping only with 'super strings' (the red, gree, clear combined with zip ties) ... which makes things go faster and they are far less tangle prone.  The use of a big 'yarn ball' of super strings also worked fairly well.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, »
I hate doing it but they look so good when they are done.  This is the first thing I do during setup.  I do agree about using LED's as minis fade during the extra month they are up.  I do the work I hate and the stuff on the roof first while it's warm.

Offline winwin

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, »
Sabie,

Great job! by the way the link does not work (at least for me)

AL.

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, »
look up santa's runway on facebook that should work